Blue Bonnet what?

by Fatfreek 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

It was the mid 70's and my wife and I were concerned about the new rotating elder arrangement. "Do you really think Melvin is qualified?", she would question privately? We'd heard Melvin many times from the podium during the Ministry School training talks. You could sense that was the last place he wanted to be as he stumbled through his manuscript.

I, too, had my doubts. But, newly-appointed Melvin had a good heart, a devoted wife with a couple of fine kids. To most worldlies he was crazy for giving up his military career as a cook with only six months left till his twenty-year retirement mark. Many Witnesses said the same -- under their breath. However, he was a hard worker at his factory stockroom job, was diligent around the Kingdom Hall, and would be there if you needed him.

He simply wasn't a teacher and we cringed when his name finally appeared on the public talk schedule.

We were in the audience that Sunday afternoon and Melvin's discourse covered many of the tragedies that happened along mankind's history. Our ears perked up when he got to those plagues of the Middle Ages, "The Blue Bonnet Plagues", Melvin sputtered. Actually, that malapropism sounded humorous in a way when it left Melvin's lips. I asked myself if he was trying to inject a little comic relief into a somber topic. No, that simply didn't fit the situation.

It wasn't long, however, before the fractured expression came out of his mouth a second time. By now it was apparent that poor Melvin didn't have a clue as to what he had uttered -- a clue as to what he was even talking about. All in the audience, it seemed, were spinning their heads to catch other puzzled peeks.

We soon learned that the third time is indeed a charm. Yes, it was all most could do just to keep from roaring when Melvin, unaware of the hilarious moment he had created, once more spouted his "Blue Bonnet Plague" masterpiece.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yep, gotta watch out for them Bluebonnets!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit