Flip flop flips?

by Fatfreek 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

"About the higher powers of Romans 13, Jehovah's Witnesses taught until 1929 that the superior authorities (New World Translation) were the earthly rulers to whom the Christian paid taxes, etc. (C. T. Russell, Studies in the Scriptures, I, p. 266.) Then, from 1929 to 1962, the Watchtower Society explained the superior authorities as the Most High God Jehovah and his exalted Son Jesus Christ (This Means Everlasting Life, p. 197.). Then, in 1962, it returned to its former position: . . ."

http://gospelthemes.com/denom10.htm

The above is an example of the W.T. changing its position from here, to there, and back to here, what I call "a Flip Flop Flip", "a double reversal", "a 360".

Are there any other examples? How about a triple?

• blondie
    blondie

until 1967--organ transplants okay

1967-1980--organ transplants not okay

1980 to present--organ transplants okay

Rape--scream--yes or no

Resurrection of people of Sodom and Gomorroah--yes or no

GT started in 1914 and stopped in 1918 to begin at a later date

1970--this was rescinded--GT had never begun but was a future event

alternative service flipped in 1997

1914 generation in 1995

UN no longer standing in a holy place, still future

Judging of sheep and goats now a future event to start shortly after the GT starts

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Judging of sheep and goats now a future event to start shortly after the GT starts

And not even THAT is a correct assessment. The separation of the sheep and goats takes place after Armageddon, during the 1000-year reign of Christ--which, btw, was the WTS's original way of seeing it.

Makes my ass want to chew tobacco!

• FairMind
    FairMind

New Light is the doctrine that fits the current need!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Yup. Depends on which way they choose to point the New Flash Light!

• Honesty
    Honesty

The WTBTS has changed every single one of its screwed up doctrines at least once. But they are still the Faithful Discreet Slave. NOT

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

It's tacky, I know, but at least once in their publications they've used the navigator's expression "tacking" to rationalize their changes. Check it out:

However, it may have seemed to some as though that path has not always gone straight forward. At times explanations given by Jehovah's visible organization have shown adjustments, seemingly to previous points of view. But this has not actually been the case. This might be compared to what is known in navigational circles as "tacking." By maneuvering the sails the sailors can cause a ship to go from right to left, back and forth, but all the time making progress toward their destination in spite of contrary winds.

Watchtower 1981, December 1 p.27, The Path of the Righteous Does Keep Getting Brighter

I can just imagine a person giving testimony in a court of law and saying, "Oh, but that was yesterday, your honor, when I said THAT. Today, I'm seeing things in a slightly different light. I call it "tacking" and I learned that enlightening principle from this magazine. Can I share a copy with you?"

• Quotes
    Quotes

That "boat tacking" excuse is so pathetic.

(1) It is not biblical -- they don't have any scriptures that talk about sailboats
    (2) It implies that is some "forward motion" to go with the "adjustments. There is not forward motion. This is the logical fallacy called "false analogy".

*** Reference Bible Ephesians 4:14 ***
    14 in order that we should no longer be babes, tossed about as by waves and carried hither and thither by every wind of teaching by means of the trickery of men, by means of cunning in contriving error.

*** The Living Bible Ephesians 4:14 ***
    ...forever changing our minds about what we believe because someone has told us something different, or has cleverly lied to us and made the lie sound like the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit