Overcoming Legalism and Performance Based Religion

by diamondblue1974 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I work with a devout Christian which does make for interesting debates and she has allowed me to borrow yet another book

Crosby, S Silent Killers of Faith:Overcoming Legalism and Performance Based Religions), 2004.

I am not sure as to whether anyone has read it or knows about it but it goes into some detail as to legalistic and performance based religions and its affect on their followers; whilst JW's are not mentioned directly I found it came up with some startling and frighteningly similar analogies and to the JWs.

For example it mentioned organisations that demonstrate a high degree of control over their followers such as what to wear, where to eat...and the affects these legalistic rules have on them. Effects such as depression, other mental health problems, and ultimately suicide in the more extreme of circumstances.

Doesnt this ring any bells with anyone in terms of all that we have suffered as a JW?

Frightening isnt it when you consider that we considered this high control group to be the truth?

Just thought I would share this with you.

DB74

• carla
    carla

Another good book on the subject of legalism is- When Trying Harder isn't Enough Breaking the Bondage of Legalism by Neil Anderson, Rich Miller, & Paul Travis. I think if you read this book you will see the wt described but not actually named. The extreme legalism just fits. carla

• rebel8
    rebel8

How does the term performance-based fit into the topic of religion in the author's view? Is it something similar to the JWs with those who put more hrs into FS being more popular and higher up on the spiritual/social scale?

• VM44
    VM44

When did the Bible Students/Jehovah's Witnesses become so legalistic?

Was it during Russell's time? or Rutherford's?

Rutherford wanted TOTAL control over an ARMY of followers! Instead of being called "congregations" local groups of brothers were called "companies", like in the army!

So I think the legalistic, central control thinking began with Rutherford.

Rutherford was a jerk! but people still followed him!! why?

--VM44

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    How does the term performance-based fit into the topic of religion in the author's view? Is it something similar to the JWs with those who put more hrs into FS being more popular and higher up on the spiritual/social scale?

Yes this pretty much is the jist of the book but it goes into more detail about how to pull yourself out of the mindset etc; the author deems the terms legalism and performance based as two seperate distinctions which often are as result of the other. It was an interesting view on the mindset of high control and performance based religions which I firmly believe JWs are and well worth the read.

DB74

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

VM44 I agree that the real control started with Rutherford.

People followed him because he manipulated them into thinking they were following God

• M.J.
    M.J.

Rutherford instituted the whole top-down power structure, all right. Even creating a whole new class of followers who were inherently dependent upon the empire.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I also agree it is the demonic personality of Rutherford that we find imprinted everywhere in this org, a shouting false prophet with insane visions. In 1925-1926 he removed all vestiges of democracy in the congs destroying all the ones that defied him.No vaccinations, no doctors, no marriages, no aluminium etc

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Most Christian religions try to control thier members, thru scare tactic (hell,, eternal damnation...etc). Sermons are a powerful tool, the more meeting the more control.

Many of these groups become just as bad as the WT. The WT has all its members report thier fieldservice activity this is a very very strong controlling device along with a considered manditory attendance to all meeting unless one is dead or in the hospital. DF'n is icing on the cake when it come to WT control. Indoctrination that make the whole world appear to be the enemy and only those inside the organization as to be trusted friends.

I'd say chuck them all out if you can and take control of your own life, without the religious trapping and control.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Rutherford instituted the whole top-down power structure, all right. Even creating a whole new class of followers who were inherently dependent upon the empire.

And yet the WTS has the audacity to slate other religions for their Hierarchical structure....double standards throughout.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit