Speaking of questions...

by Confession 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confession
    Confession

As a JW, did anyone ever ask you the following...

"If you discovered that Jehovah's Witnesses weren't really teaching the Truth, would you leave them?"

Here again, it's a toughie for most of them. If they say "no" they appear a mind-numbed fool. But most don't want to consider such a possibility for one moment--particularly when in the presence of other JWs, so they will attempt to side-step the question. For those who do have the guts to say "yes," you have, in asking the question, helped put them in touch with their own common sense. If they are willing to verbalize that they'd leave under such a circumstance, it may make it harder for them to keep overlooking the occasional doubts they experience.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

No one ever asked me that question.

First, you would have to be in the presence of someone who might ask you a question like that, and dubs never are. Dubs only hang out with dubs. Second, if/when dubs are around other people they do not discuss religion with anyone who might challenge their beliefs and "weaken their faith".

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

that's a good point... i notice that many people who raised "in the truth" (many who are even elders and ms's at this point) would admit that they don't know if they'd stay if their parents lost faith. can you imagine being such a follower (although to others, a leader) that you, at 30 years of age would just swing and sway in the wind of your parents whims of beliefs? it just goes to show that most witnesses are in the faith because their parents say it's true. so it must be

bethelfight

• fairchild
    fairchild
    "If you discovered that Jehovah's Witnesses weren't really teaching the Truth, would you leave them?"

It is often tough to make such a discovery, because JW's are led to believe that any and every word said or written against 'the truth' is from satan.

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

i asked an elder: what if this isn't the truth? he said: " we're righter (is that a word?) than anyone else! he refered to hellfire and the trinity>

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, I can remember being asked that question. It was not uncommon. I would generally reply something like, "Why of course, but the likelihood of that happening is slim to none."

And guess what? When I realized it wasn't the 'truth', I left.

t

• Shania
    Shania

I recall at a Circut Assembly the DO got on stag giving his what ifs and said "even if this wasn't the truth, it is still the best way of life!" All clapped like he just gave a revelations of sorts,(I think indirectly he was) anyway I did not clap I looked right at my husband and said then why are we here if this isn't the truth...........what a thinking moment for both of us, but like good JW we continued for 20 more years but always questioning that comment made by that DO.

• Confession
    Confession

Wow, Shania... I recall the very same scenario--except it wasn't at an assembly and it wasn't a D.O. It was an elder giving a public talk on Sunday. I was visiting my parents' congregation with my new wife and newborn baby. I'm guessing it was in the late 80s. With great feeling, he said...

"Friends, what if this isn't the truth? What it it's all a big scam? (pause) Isn't it still the best way of life?!"

It now strikes me as telling that I was so disturbed by this expression, while most had no comment. I think that, in a sense, JWs can be classified into two groups. When faced with the thought that this organization may not be what it claims to be, some deeply desire to know the truth -- while others would prefer not to know.

My "awakening" just occurred this past September 15th, 2004. At 38, may family has been associated with JWs for four generations and more than 60 years. Previously I'd been a servant in the congregation for six years, an elder for three. More than thirty members of my family are inside--two who profess to be of the anointed. I genuinely believed it was the truth--and was NOT an opportunistic faultfinder, always looking for something to gripe about. Believe me, I'd rather not create a rift within my family. But, while some may be able to go along, pretending to believe, I cannot. I just can't lamely go through the motions, knowing that this organization is not what it purports to be--realizing the wicked way its leadership manipulates people and destroys families to protect itself.

Isn't that what the Watchtower Society likes to call "honest-hearted?" Perhaps scenarios such as the one you and I both witnessed had an affect on us because we are honest-hearted truth seekers--as opposed to those who've learned to deceive themselves in their desire to have "The Truth."

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"Friends, what if this isn't the truth? What it it's all a big scam? (pause) Isn't it still the best way of life?!"

Man, oh man ... if that wasn't said to ease the consciences of any 'doubters' in the crowd, then I can only imagine that it was said to ease that elder's own conscience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit