carnal is it in the bible?..what do it really mean?

by sad and lonely 8 Replies latest jw friends

• sad and lonely
    sad and lonely

by brother-in-law who claims he's a preacher,though he preaches out of his house and the only members are his wife,kids and about 3 other people he took of the streets gave a sandwich to,then talked them into letting him baptize them ,in his large body-lenght foot tub. tells me that jesus is the father and that the reason i don't see that dispite the fact that jesus said himself his father is greater than him,i wasn't in the carnal...if i was then i would see how deep it is.and he said god! wants us to be at his understanding level.but i thought somewhere i read or heard that we could never be at gods level.and also i read out of a dictionary about the word canal.ant it didn't seen spritual to me.it wasn't in my bible dictionary(the wordly one)as my sista said it was in the bible dict.,can anyone explain that to me...please!!!!

• under74
    under74

Well, word meanings aside, your brother in law taking people off the street is more than any JW I've know has ever done. Russell started small as well...as most religions do.

I posted on one of your other threads....I'll ask this only once, did you know this forum is full of ex-JWs (some would call apostates)?

• vitty
    vitty

Im sorry I cant answer your question, Ive never heard that before!

Welcome to this forum, I read your first post im sorry you are "sad and lonely" but there are many kind and loving ppl on this site who, will be happy to listen to you

Many here are active, non active or exwitness but we all support each other, hope you stay around!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

A carnal is a man made shipping lane that links two bodies of water... Maybe your brother plans to babtize people in one?

Sorry I have a hard time being serious... It's a failing of mine!

Carnal is not something that I think you should ASPIRE too...

Carnal;

Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old North French or Late Latin; Old North French, from Late Latin carnalis, from Latin carn-, caro flesh; akin to Greek keirein to cut -- more at SHEAR
    1 a : relating to or given to crude bodily pleasures and appetites b : marked by sexuality
    2 : BODILY, CORPOREAL
    3 a : TEMPORAL b : WORLDLY
    - car·nal·i·ty / kär-'na-l&-tE / noun
    - car·nal·ly / 'kär-n & l-E / adverb
    synonyms CARNAL, FLESHLY, SENSUAL, ANIMAL mean having a relation to the body. CARNAL may mean only this but more often connotes derogatorily an action or manifestation of a person's lower nature <a slave to carnal desires>. FLESHLY is less derogatory than CARNAL <a saint who had experienced fleshly temptations>. SENSUAL may apply to any gratification of a bodily desire or pleasure but commonly implies sexual appetite with absence of the spiritual or intellectual <fleshpots providing sensual delights>. ANIMAL stresses the physical as distinguished from the rational nature of a person <led a mindless animal existence>.

• Little Bo Peep
    Little Bo Peep

Hello, I'm also new to this board. I too checked the definition of carnal, and basically in your brother-in-law's context, I think he means worldly or not spiritual. There is a wonderful site you can go to that gives many Bible topics with much sound, scriptural references. It is commentarypress.com. There are a couple of articles you might benefit from. One is A Love Beyone Comprehension, and the other is What Can I Do? Perhaps reading this encouraging information will help put a smile on your face...I hope so.

• under74
    under74

Welcome to the board Little Bo Peep.

And I don't theink I properly welcomed you sad and lonley...So WELCOME to the board.

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Worldly or Carnal Man vs A person who has a relationship with Jehovah = Spiritual Man

KJV = King James Version
    NLT = New Living Translation
    TLB = The Living Bible
    ASV = American Standard Version

Romans 7:14
    (Rom 7:14 KJV) For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
    (Rom 7:14 NLT) The law is good, then. The trouble is not with the law but with me, because I am sold into slavery, with sin as my master.
    (Rom 7:14 TLB) The law is good, then, and the trouble is not there but with me because I am sold into slavery with Sin as my owner.
    (Rom 7:14 ASV) For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Romans 8:7
    (Rom 8:7 KJV) Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
    (Rom 8:7 NLT) For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will.
    (Rom 8:7 TLB) because the old sinful nature within us is against God. It never did obey God's laws and it never will.
    (Rom 8:7 ASV) because the mind of the flesh is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can it be:

Romans 15:27
    (Rom 15:27 KJV) It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things.
    (Rom 15:27 NLT) They were very glad to do this because they feel they owe a real debt to them. Since the Gentiles received the wonderful spiritual blessings of the Good News from the Jewish Christians, they feel the least they can do in return is help them financially.
    (Rom 15:27 TLB) They were very glad to do this, for they feel that they owe a real debt to the Jerusalem Christians. Why? Because the news about Christ came to these Gentiles from the church in Jerusalem. And since they received this wonderful spiritual gift of the Gospel from there, they feel that the least they can do in return is to give some material aid.
    (Rom 15:27 ASV) Yea, it hath been their good pleasure; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, they owe it to them also to minister unto them in carnal things.

I Corinthians 3:1, 3 - 4

KJV
    (1 Cor 3:1 KJV) And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
    (1 Cor 3:3 KJV) For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
    (1 Cor 3:4 KJV) For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

NLT
    (1 Cor 3:1 NLT) Dear brothers and sisters, when I was with you I couldn't talk to you as I would to mature Christians. I had to talk as though you belonged to this world or as though you were infants in the Christian life.
    (1 Cor 3:3 NLT) for you are still controlled by your own sinful desires. You are jealous of one another and quarrel with each other. Doesn't that prove you are controlled by your own desires? You are acting like people who don't belong to the Lord.
    (1 Cor 3:4 NLT) When one of you says, "I am a follower of Paul," and another says, "I prefer Apollos," aren't you acting like those who are not Christians?

TLB
    (1 Cor 3:1 TLB) Dear brothers, I have been talking to you as though you were still just babies in the Christian life who are not following the Lord but your own desires; I cannot talk to you as I would to healthy Christians who are filled with the Spirit.
    (1 Cor 3:3 TLB) For you are still only baby Christians, controlled by your own desires, not God's. When you are jealous of one another and divide up into quarreling groups, doesn't that prove you are still babies, wanting your own way? In fact, you are acting like people who don't belong to the Lord at all.
    (1 Cor 3:4 TLB) There you are, quarreling about whether I am greater than Apollos, and dividing the church. Doesn't this show how little you have grown in the Lord?

ASV
    (1 Cor 3:1 ASV) And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, as unto babes in Christ.
    (1 Cor 3:3 ASV) for ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you jealousy and strife, are ye not carnal, and do ye not walk after the manner of men?
    (1 Cor 3:4 ASV) For when one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not men?

I Corinthians 9:11
    (1 Cor 9:11 KJV) If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?
    (1 Cor 9:11 NLT) We have planted good spiritual seed among you. Is it too much to ask, in return, for mere food and clothing?
    (1 Cor 9:11 TLB) We have planted good spiritual seed in your souls. Is it too much to ask, in return, for mere food and clothing?
    (1 Cor 9:11 ASV) If we sowed unto you spiritual things, is it a great matter if we shall reap your carnal things?

II Corinthians 10:4
    (2 Cor 10:4 KJV) (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
    (2 Cor 10:4 NLT) We use God's mighty weapons, not mere worldly weapons, to knock down the Devil's strongholds.
    (2 Cor 10:4 TLB) I use God's mighty weapons, not those made by men, to knock down the devil's strongholds.
    (2 Cor 10:4 ASV) (for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but mighty before God to the casting down of strongholds),

Hebrews 7:16
    (Heb 7:16 KJV) Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.
    (Heb 7:16 NLT) He became a priest, not by meeting the old requirement of belonging to the tribe of Levi, but by the power of a life that cannot be destroyed.
    (Heb 7:16 TLB) did not become a priest by meeting the old requirement of belonging to the tribe of Levi, but on the basis of power flowing from a life that cannot end.
    (Heb 7:16 ASV) who hath been made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life:

Hebrews 9:10
    (Heb 9:10 KJV) Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.
    (Heb 9:10 NLT) For that old system deals only with food and drink and ritual washing--external regulations that are in effect only until their limitations can be corrected.
    (Heb 9:10 TLB) For the old system dealt only with certain rituals--what foods to eat and drink, rules for washing themselves, and rules about this and that. The people had to keep these rules to tide them over until Christ came with God's new and better way.
    (Heb 9:10 ASV) being only (with meats and drinks and divers washings) carnal ordinances, imposed until a time of reformation.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Hi, I just thought I would chip in.

Your wacko relative is just using a word which he thinks is making him "high-falutin" but which is actually just stupid and wrong to use in this way.

As a poster above excerpted when some translations use "carnal" they of course mean "fleshly" (as opposed to "spiritually") that is what CARNAL means with the latin root of carne for flesh or meat.

In the bible it is NOT a good thing to be CARNAL (or not spiritual but rather fleshly) which is why your relative is an idiot for turning the meaning around 180 degrees to make it sound like a good thing.

Probably, he is thinking that by referring to being "in the Carnal" he really means the same thing as one says being in "the body of Christ" that is to say a part of the Christian body of persons or believers.

Again instead of saying it correctly he is trying to co-opt this word and make it mean "the Body of Christ" or the Christian faith.

-Eduardo

• talesin
    talesin

Hence, the legal term For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit