Jehovah's Witnesses: The African American Enigma -- A Contemporary Study

by Brummie 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brummie
    Brummie

Has anyone read this book? Sorry if its already been discussed, I missed it and "search" doesnt work for me here. Anyway, there are some interesting points ...

alt

Jehovah's Witnesses: The African American Enigma -- A Contemporary Study

By Firpo W. Carr, Ph.d.

228 pages. Softcover. "Brand New" condition.

Dr. Firpo Carr is an active Jehovah's Witness, and has been for over 35 years. He served as a regular pioneer for over 20 of those 35 years. He has been called "the world authority" on African American Jehovah's Witnesses. Dr. Carr is an advocate of minority rights, a Bible scholar, and a prolific writer. While studying issues relating to Jehovah's Witnesses in Cuba, Communist Leader Fidel Castro gave special permission to televise an interview of Carr, as well as allowed Carr to give a televised speech to the people of Cuba. Carr also has had material published by the Black Panthers, and he has spoken at public support rallies held for Michael Jackon by the "Islamic Hope Conference" (Nation of Islam).

Counted among Carr's close friends is Samuel F. Herd, the first member of the GOVERNING BODY of Jehovah's Witnesses who is "obviously" of African descent. (Why the designation of "obvious" is discussed in this book by Carr.) Carr and Herd have known each other for nearly as long as Carr has been a JW (over 35 years). Photographs of both Samuel F. Herd and Dr. Firpo Carr can be viewed on pages 24 and 25, respectively, of the January 15, 2001 issue of the "Watchtower" magazine.

Jehovah's Witnesses: The African American Enigma -- A Contemporary Study is absolutely informative and thoroughly enjoyable for anyone with an interest in Jehovah's Witnesses and the WatchTower Society.

Chapter One, "Special Needs" of Black Witnesses, evaluates the seeming lack of sensitivity of the Watchtower Society to the needs of Black JWs. Subheadings include: "Is the Society Eurocentric?", "Whites a 'Wicked Race'?", "Does the Society Recognize Historic Black Figures?", "Afrocentric Watchtower Publications?", "Separate People Separate Needs", "Black Witness, White Territory", etc. Interesting tidbits include the disclosure that the Society has previously had separate "branch offices" within the United States to serve Black JWs, as well as one other ethnic group.

Chapter Two, A Black Man On The Governing Body includes a subheading entitled, "What Took So Long?", as well as a subheading in which Carr explains how he knew Samuel Herd would be appointed to the JW GOVERNING BODY before it even had been decided.

Chapter Three, Shadow Nation- Witness Influence On The Nation of Islam. This is an extremely interesting chapter in which Dr. Carr discloses that every major figure in the history of the Nation of Islam has had intimate contact with Jehovah's Witnesses at some point in their lives:

Muhammad Fard, founder of the Nation of Islam, was a fan and student of Joseph F. Rutherford, the second President of the WatchTower Society. Fard openly encouraged his NOI followers to read WatchTower literature and listen to "Judge Rutherford's" radio tirades against all societal institutions. NOI doctrine was heavily influenced by WatchTower doctrine.

Elijah Muhammad, the second NOI leader, openly praised Charles Taze Russell (WatchTower founder) and J. F. Rutherford, as well as WatchTower doctrine.

Malcolm X's formative years were shaped by WatchTower doctrine when he attended Kingdom Hall meetings with his Mother and siblings. Malcolm later renewed his relationship with the WatchTower Society when he studied with a JW while in prison.

Louis Farrakhan's mother was a JW, and he regularly attended meetings at the Kingdom Hall as a youngster. Farrakhan's doctrine is heavily shaped by WatchTower doctrine.

Khallid Abdul Muhammad, one time NOI spokesman and New Black Panther Party leader, was reared by a JW aunt, who took him to meetings at the Kingdom Hall.

There's much more, including info on Michael Jackson's family and a listing of African American JWs who hold very important positions in Watchtower Society hierarchy.

DURING THE PAST COUPLE MONTHS OR SO, DR. CARR HAS APPEARED ON NUMEROUS CNN, MSNBC, AND OTHER NEWS PROGRAMS ON BEHALF OF MICHAEL JACKSON AND THE JACKSON FAMILY. CARR HAS REFERRED TO HIMSELF AS BOTH JACKO'S "SPIRITUAL ADVISOR", AND AS THE JACKSON FAMILY'S "SPIRITUAL ADVISOR".

Its for sale on ebay at the mo!

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

awesome. I'm so there.

laters

kaykay_mp

• Brummie
    Brummie

Really? Are you going to buy the book? Its $15 on ebay!

I found the Witness influence on the nation of Islam interesting but this disclosure is also very interesting:

Chapter One, "Special Needs" of Black Witnesses, evaluates the seeming lack of sensitivity of the Watchtower Society to the needs of Black JWs. Subheadings include: "Is the Society Eurocentric?", "Whites a 'Wicked Race'?", "Does the Society Recognize Historic Black Figures?", "Afrocentric Watchtower Publications?", "Separate People Separate Needs", "Black Witness, White Territory", etc. Interesting tidbits include the disclosure that the Society has previously had separate "branch offices" within the United States to serve Black JWs, as well as one other ethnic group.

Are people allowed to suggest the Society lacks sensitivity?Plus, I didnt know about the seperate branches within the USA to serve Black JWS!!

Firpo Carr sounds like an interesting fella!

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I think Fripo's view on himself and world is nicely summed up in this sentence at the beginning, "Carr explains how he knew Samuel Herd would be appointed to the JW GOVERNING BODY before it even had been decided. " Firpo has a way of writing and thinking, in which he is the inventor of everything. He discovered some papyrii, he was the first ever to see them, he was treated in such and such a manner, he did this and that, he said so and so - he is so egocentric that it completely drowns the fractions of good stuff in his books.

• under74
    under74

yeah, listen to OldHippie.

Carr is a nut. I saw him several times on cable news as "the Jackson family spokesman." He says he's getting a PHD in theology although he also says he's a stonch JW. He totally tries to re-write JW history in all his books. Don't buy anything unless you want a laugh.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I didn't read it, but thank you for this info, Brummie.

• Gill
    Gill

It seems that the African Americans are more drawn to fundamentalist and evangelical religions. But could that be because so many fundamentalist/evangelicals and as we also call them in the UK, 'happy clappy' religions seem to have their origins in the US.

I, and this is a personal view, but I always find the calling of 'brother' or 'sister' makes me cringe as well as the praying in public before meals, the person who feels the need to call out 'AAAAAAAAYYMen!" But I don't know if this is just my English upbringing, making me feel that way. Friends who are of these fundamentalist religions, seem to need to insert 'thanking the Lord' into most sentences just as JWs are forever saying 'if Jehovah allows' etc.

Maybe I was never meant to be religious.

What I'd be interested to know however, as my black friends I went to school with have not followed in their parents fundamentalist/BA or evangelical footsteps, is that a general trend in the US as well. Are younger black people falling away from these faiths?

• Brummie
    Brummie
    What I'd be interested to know however, as my black friends I went to school with have not followed in their parents fundamentalist/BA or evangelical footsteps, is that a general trend in the US as well. Are younger black people falling away from these faiths?

Yes I'd be interested in to know those things too! I'm similar to you, I dont like the aaaaymens shouted out lol

lonelysheep, you're welcome ;)

Thanks hippie & under74, I can see now how he would misrepresent all the facts and spin a big yarn! I wont bother with the book, $15 can be spent better, like on a pouch of tobacco :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit