Watchtower Study - Aug 12

by hippikon 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hippikon
    hippikon

REJOICE IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF JEHOVAH

“Happy are those hearing the word of God and keeping it!”—LuKE 11:28.

JEHOVAH loves humans and is deeply in-terested in their welfare. It is not surpris-ing, therefore, that he communicates with them. This communication began in the gar-den of Eden. According to Genesis 3:8, on one occasion “about the breezy part of the day,” Adam and Eve “heard the voice of Je-hovah God.” Some suggest that this implies that it was Jehovah’s custom to communi-cate with Adam at this time, possibly every day. Whatever the case, the Bible makes it clear that God had taken time not only to give instructions to the first man but also to teach him what he needed to know in order to carry out his responsibilities.—Genesis 1:28-30

1. When did Jehovah begin to communicate with humans?
    Jehovah gave Adam and Eve life, domin-ion over the animals, and authority over the entire earth. There was but one prohibition—they were not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and bad. Influenced by Satan, Adam and Eve disobeyed God’s com-mand. (Genesis 2:16, 17; 3:1-6) They chose to act independently, deciding for themselves what was right and what was wrong. In so doing, they foolishly cut themselves off from the guidance of their loving Creator. The consequences were disastrous for them and for their unborn offspring. Adam and Eve grew old and eventually died with no hope of a resurrection. Their descendants inherit- ed sin and its consequence, death.—Romans 5:12.

2. How did the first couple cut themselves off from the guidance of Jehovah, and with what result?

Despite the rebellion in Eden, Jehovah continued to communicate with his human creation. Cain, the firstborn son of Adam and Eve, was in danger of being overcome by sin. Jehovah warned him that he was heading for trouble and advised him to “turn to doing good.” Cain rejected this loving counsel and murdered his brother. (Genesis 4:3-8) Thus, the first three humans on earth all spurned the clear direction provided by the one who gave them life, the God who gives instruc-tion to his people so that they might benefit themselves. (Isaiah 48:17) How disappoint-ing this must have been to Jehovah!

3. Why did Jehovah communicate with Cain, and how did Cain respond?

Jehovah Reveals Himself to Men of Old

Though he had every right to cut off com-munication with humans, Jehovah did not do so. He was confident that some of Adam’s descendants would wisely heed His direc-tion. When pronouncing judgment on Adam and Eve, for example, Jehovah foretold the coming of a “seed” who would stand in op-position to the Serpent, Satan the Devil. In time, Satan would be fatally bruised in the head. (Genesis 3:15) This prophecy was a joy-ful message of hope to “those hearing the word of God and keeping it.”—Luke 11:28.

4. Regarding Adam’s descendants, of what was Je-hovah confident, and what message of hope did he
    give with that in mind?

Jehovah communicated his will to faith-ful patriarchs of old, such as Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Job. (Genesis 6:13; Exodus 33:1; Job 38:1-3) Later, through Moses he set out an entire code of laws for the nation of Israel. The Mosaic Law benefited them in many ways. By observing it, Israel was sepa-rated from all other nations as God’s special people. God assured the Israelites that if they obeyed the Law, he would bless them not only materially but also spiritually, making them into a kingdom of priests, a holy na-tion. The Law even provided dietary and san-itary regulations that promoted good health. However, Jehovah also warned of the tragic consequences that would result from dis-obedience.—Exodus 19:5, 6; Deuteronomy 28:1-68.

In time, other inspired books were added to the Bible canon. Historical accounts told of Jehovah’s dealings with nations and peoples. Poetic books beautifully described his quali-ties. Prophetic books foretold the future out-working of Jehovah’s will. Faithful men of old carefully studied and applied these in-spired writings. One wrote: “Your word is a lamp to my foot, and a light to my roadway.” (Psalm 119:105) To those who were willing to listen, Jehovah provided education and
    enlightenment.

5, 6. In what ways did Jehovah commu-nicate with his people before the first century C.E., and how did this bene-fit them?

The Light Becomes Brighter

By the first century, Jewish religious groups had added human traditions to the Law. The Law was misapplied, and instead of being a source of enlightenment, it became burdensome because of those traditions. (Matthew 23:2-4) However, in 29 C.E., Jesus appeared as the Messiah. His mission was not only to give his life in behalf of human-kind but also to “bear witness to the truth.” Though he performed miracles, he was pri-marily known as “the Teacher.” His teaching was like a light beaming through the spiritu-al darkness that shrouded the minds of peo-ple. Jesus himself rightly said: “I am the light of the world.”—John 8:12; 11:28; 18:37.

7. Although Jesus performed miracles, for what was he primarily known, and why?

Later were added the Gospels, four writ-ten accounts of Jesus’ life, and the book of Acts, a history of the spread of Christianity af-ter Jesus’ death. There were also the inspired letters written by Jesus’ disciples, as well as the prophetic book of Revelation. These writ-ings, combined with the Hebrew Scriptures, completed the Bible canon. With the help of this inspired library, Christians could “grasp mentally with all the holy ones what is the breadth and length and height and depth” of the truth. (Ephesians 3:14-18) They could have “the mind of Christ.” (1 Corinthians 2:
    16) Nevertheless, those early Christians did not fully understand every aspect of Jeho-vah’s purposes. The apostle Paul wrote to fel-low believers: “At present we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror.” (1 Co-rinthians 13:12) Such a mirror would re-flect an outline but not all the details. A full-er comprehension of God’s Word was yet to come.

8. What inspired books were written in the first century C.E., and how did they benefit early Chris-tians?

Today, we live in an era called “the last days,” an era marked by “critical times hard to deal with.” (2 Timothy 3:1) The prophet Daniel foretold that during this time “the true knowledge [would] become abundant.” (Daniel 12:4) Hence, Jehovah, the Great Communicator, has helped honesthearted ones to grasp the meaning of his Word. Mul-titudes of people now understand that Christ Jesus was enthroned in the invisible heavens in 1914. They also know that he will soon bring an end to all wickedness and transform the earth into a global paradise. This impor-tant aspect of the Kingdom good news is now being preached throughout the earth.—Mat-thew 24:14.

9. What enlightenment has occurred during “the last days”?

Yes, throughout history Jehovah has communicated his will and purpose to peo-ple on earth. The Bible record describes many who listened, applied godly wisdom, and were blessed for it. It tells of others who rejected God’s loving counsel, follow-ing the ruinous course of Adam and Eve. Je-sus illustrated this situation when he spoke of two symbolic roads. One leads to destruc-tion. Broad and spacious, it is followed by the many who reject God’s Word. The other road leads to everlasting life. Though cramped, it is the path of the few who accept the Bible for what it is, the Word of God, and live in har-mony with it.—Mafthew 7:13, 14.

10. Throughout the centuries, how have people reacted to Jehovah’s counsel?

Appreciating What We Have

Are you among those who have chosen the road to life? If so, you will no doubt want to stay on it. How can you do so? Reflect regu-larly and appreciatively on the blessings that knowing Bible truths has brought to your life. The very fact that you have responded to the good news is evidence of God’s blessing. Jesus indicated this when he prayed to his Fa-ther in these words: “I publicly praise you, Fa-ther, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to babes.” (Matthew 11:25) Fishermen and tax collectors got the sense of Jesus’ teaching, while highly educated religious leaders did not. Jesus further said: “No man can come to me unless the Father, who sent me, draws him.” (John 6:44) If you have come to know the Bible and you believe and follow its teachings, this is evidence that Jehovah has drawn you. It is reason for rejoicing.

11. Our knowledge of and belief in the Bible is evi-dence of what?

God’s Word contains liberating truths and gives enlightenment. Those who live ac-cording to Bible knowledge are freed from the superstitions, false teachings, and igno-rance that dominate the lives of millions. For example, knowing the truth about the soul frees us from any fear that the dead can harm us or that our dead loved ones are suffering. (Ezekiel 18:4) Knowing the truth about wick-ed angels helps us avoid the perils of spiritism. The teaching of the resurrection is com-forting to those who have lost loved ones in death. (John 11:25) Bible prophecies show us where we are in the stream of time and give us confidence in God’s promises for the fu-ture. They also reinforce our hope of living forever.

12. In what ways does the Bible give enlighten-ment?

The godly principles in the Bible teach us to live in a way that brings physical benefits. For example, we learn to avoid practices that defile our bodies, such as the misuse of tobac-co and other drugs. We shun alcohol abuse. (2 Corinthians 7:1) Heeding God’s moral laws serves as a protection from sexually transmitted diseases. (1 Corinthians 6:18) By observing God’s counsel to avoid the love of money, we do not destroy our peace of mind, as many have, in the pursuit of riches. (1 Tim- othy 6:10) In what ways have you benefited physically because of applying God’s Word in your life?

13.How does heeding God’s Word benefit us phys-ically?

If we live according to God’s Word, we receive Jehovah’s holy spirit. We culti-vate a Christlike personality, characterized by such appealing qualities as mercy and com-passion. (Ephesians 4:24, 32) God’s spirit also produces in us its fruitage—love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, and self-control. (Galatians5:22, 23) These qualities promote hap-py and meaningful relationships with others, including family members. We gain inner strength that helps us to face hardship with courage. Do you discern how the holy spirit has influenced your life for the better?

14. What influence does the holy spirit have on our lives?

As we harmonize our lives with God’s will, we strengthen our relationship with Je-hovah. Our conviction grows that he under-stands and loves us. We learn through ex-perience that he supports us during difficult times. (Psalm 18:18) We discern that he really listens to our prayers. (Psalm 65:2) We come to rely on his guidance, confident that it will benefit us. And we have the wonderful hope that in due time God will bring his faithful ones to perfection and bestow upon them his gift of everlasting life. (Romans 6:23) “Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you,” wrote the disciple James. (James 4:8) Have you felt that your relationship with Jehovah has been strengthened as you have drawn close to him?

15. As we harmonize our lives with God’s will, how do we benefit?

A Treasure Beyond Compare

Paul reminded spirit-anointed Christians of the first century that some of them had at one time been fornicators, adulterers, homo-sexuals, thieves, greedy persons, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners. (1 Corinthians 6:9-11) Bible truth caused them to make ma-jor changes; they were “washed clean.” Try to imagine what your life would be like without the liberating truths you have learned from the Bible. Surely the truth is a treasure far be-yond compare. How happy we are that Jeho-vah communicates with us!

16. What changes did some first-century Christians make?

Further, think of the blessing that we have in our multiracial brotherhood! “The faithful and discreet slave” supplies spiritu-al food at the proper time, including Bibles, magazines, and other publications in a multi-tude of languages. (Matthew 24:45-47) At congregation meetings during the year 2000, Jehovah’s Witnesses in many lands reviewed highlights from eight major books of the He-brew Scriptures. They meditated on the lives of 40 Bible characters discussed in Insight on the Scriptures. They considered about one fourth of the book The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived and almost the entire book Pay At-tention to Daniel’s Prophecy! Thirty-six sec-ondary articles were considered from the Watch tower magazine in addition to 52 study articles. Furthermore, Jehovah’s people were nourished with 12 issues of Our Kingdom Ministry and weekly public talks on a variety of Bible subjects. What a wealth of spiritual knowledge has been made available!

17. How have Jehovah’s Witnesses been fed spiritu-ally at Christian meetings?

Throughout the world, over 91,000 con-gregations provide support and encourage-ment through meetings and association. We also enjoy the support of mature fellow Christians who are willing to help us spiritu-ally. (Ephesians 4:11-13) Yes, we have great-ly benefited by receiving a knowledge of the truth. It is a joy to know and serve Jehovah. How true are the words of the psalmist who wrote: “Happy is the people whose God is Je-hovah! “—Psalm 144:15.

18, In what ways are we helped within the Chris-tian congregation?

Do You Remember?

• With whom did Jehovah communi-cate in pre-Christian times?

• How did spiritual Ii9ht become brighter in the first century? in mod-em times?
    • What blessings come from living according to the knowledge of Jehovah?

• Why do we rejoice In our knowledge of God?

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

I noticed with interest paragraph 18....

'Throughout the world, over 91,000 congregations provide support and encouragement through meetings and association' ..... Support and encouragement... no, I don't think so.

'We also enjoy the support of mature fellow Christians who are willing to help us spiritually' ...... Nah, support and willingness?
    Absolutely not. Not in my experience.

'Yes, we have greatly benefited by receiving a knowledge of the truth' ....... You reckon?!

'It is a joy to know and serve Jehovah' ....... A joy???

'How true are the words of the psalmist who wrote 'Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah' ...... Bit of a generalisation, some of the most miserable people I have ever met have been JWs.

Yet again another Watchtower that makes me really glad I left!
    Thanks very much hippikon for strengthening my resolve never to return! Sometimes I tend to forget just how self delusional they are.

Much appreciated.

• AMOS
    AMOS

Hi Individuals wife:
    Your scenario sounds too familiar. I recall being at an assembly years ago, exhausted with minding 3 small children, while the husband did the "spiritual JW bit" being in charge of departments etc. and sitting down and thinking about Jesus' words, "come to me for rest - my load is kindly and light" and I recall thinking what a lot of nonsense, how burdensome and hard trying to be a JW was with no guarantee of not dying in Armageddon anyway. There was never any rest. Thank God I now have the peace that passes all understanding and am free.

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Hi Amos

'exhausted with minding 3 small children' ..... yes, been there and done that too! And isn't it funny how no-one offers you any help even if they are all falling asleep or all fighting to sit on your lap at once!

I remember when my husband was on the literature desk on a Thursday night, I would be in the hall with the kids, very tired and irritable, wanting to go home to bed, and we wouldn't be able to leave until nearly 10pm! The congregation would all mill around chatting and delay picking up their mags, no consideration for the little kids. I used to think it looked awful, all these children spilling out of the hall late at night, not a good advertisement for the religion!

Isn't it good to be free!

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hey another parent here - dad of four wonderfully normal children - and having personally been blessed with never having been 'blessed' with a position of responsibility ... if you see what i mean ... i used to hate taking my children home at a late hour in the dark and often in pouring rain - as you said - a good refernece for the religion to all who were tweaking their net curtains ... good to be free and getting free-er as i benefit from the fellowship and association of all you very cool folk ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit