VH1 MJ program - What will be the impact?

by truth_about_the_truth 3 Replies latest social current

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

Everyone is aware of the WT difficulty in retaining their young population.

The target audience for VH1 being of that same age demographic, it seems that this could be a bigger blow to the WTS than it seems to appear at the present time.

Take a look at the types of ppl this will have somewhat of an impact on:

- young ppl still in the org that are sitting on the fence (let's face it...they mostly are)

- the avg. non-jw young person who previously had no opinion regarding JW

- this will reinforce the viewpoint of any that already have a negative opinion of JW

Let's face it, the future growth of the org. seems pretty bleak. Where will they get their numbers? How will ppl respond at the door? I think we'll see the effect of programs like these become manifest in the yrs to come... This is a pretty big blow that has set their preaching work back big time.

What do you think? How much affect will this have?

• hubert
    hubert

I think it's going to hurt their numbers, also. I'm surprised that it was that informative, and didn't seem to be cut , either. If it was a regular t.v. broadcast, it would have been cut tremendously, I think. I was really surprised to see they were able to expose them as much as they did.

Editted to add...It's going to be on vh-1 this Thursday evening at 7:30 p.m. again.

Hubert

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

We finally had the time to watch this (taped) and saw it last night. The first thing that hubby and I said was "THAT should discourage any one who's thinking about becoming a JW!"

I felt so good seeing that a lot of this "stuff" was brought out, and the WTS stuff wasn't downplayed in the least. I hope that it has a huge impact at the "doors" and the JWs will have to do some fast talking when they are confronted with this.

As for all the teens that watch VH1, the JWs in school will have new questions tossed at them too, about things that they may have never known about. People aren't stupid enough to believe that "Satan" is controlling the unbelievers, so they'll have to improvise some new defenses.

BTW----brown paper bags? I can't believe that! (OR, I wish I'd thought of it!) And there they are---Mama J in all her JWness, the honored guest at her birthday party in a night club! Splain that, sister!

Wouldn't that bring reproach on Jehovah??????

Annie

edited to add; How many "worldly" folks are gonna ask JWs about this birthday business now? Like, why is this okay for Mama J, but average JWs can't celebrate it? Yup---the more I think about it---the impact is going to be huge and interesting!

• freedom96
    freedom96

One thing I liked about the program, is that it bashed the witnesses, but not directly. This is not an anti witness show, but it showed how weird they are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit