Details on "Advance Health Care Directive"

by ezekiel3 14 Replies latest watchtower medical

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

The ?Blood Card? and DPA have been combined into one document that folds into a business card size. (Unfolded it measures 6.75 x 8.5 inches / 17 x 21.5 cm.) This document is called the ?Advance Health Care Directive? (AHCD). It still features the iconic NO BLOOD with the red circle/bar around a blood dispenser. It is designed to be carried on your person, although copies should be made for various persons, including your ?health-care agent? (the person you authorize to make medical decisions for you if you are incapacitated), your doctor, and the congregation secretary (not required, but recommended).

One of the reasons for the AHCD is that it has been recognized that not all (most?) JWs have not been completing the DPA document, and instead relying on the classic blood card. By combining the two, the WTS can provide complete legal protection for refusal of blood.

Each state of the USA will have its own custom tailored AHCD to conform to state laws.

Another feature of the AHCD is the multiple choice options based on the recent understanding of blood ?parts.? The following is quoted from the AHCD (the bold is part of the original text):

2. I am one of Jehovah?s Witnesses, and I direct that NO TRANSFUSIONS of whole blood, red cells, white cells, platelets, or plasma be given me under any circumstances, even if health-care providers believe that such are necessary to preserve my life. I refuse to predonate and store my blood for later infusion.

3. Regarding minor fractions of blood: [Initial those that apply] a) ____ I REFUSE ALL (b) ____I REFUSE ALL EXCEPT:_____ (c) I may be willing to accept some minor blood fractions, but the details will have to be discussed with me if I am conscious or with my health-care agent in case of my incapacity.

4. Regarding medical procedures involving the use of my own blood, except diagnostic procedures, such as blood samples for testing: [initial those that apply] a) ____ I REFUSE ALL (b) ____ I REFUSE ALL EXCEPT:_____ (c) I may be willing to accept certain medical procedures involving my blood, but the details will have to be discussed with me if I am conscious or with my health-care agent in case of my incapacity.

A ?Health-Care Agent,? and ?Alternate Health-Care Agent? and two witnesses (in the legal sense, that is) are required to sign as well as the cardholder. It was stated that the health-care agent is not liable legally or for costs arising from the situation.

The AHCD is valid indefinitely, although any changes to the document require new signatures. The old ?Identity Card? used by un-baptized minors is still to be used. Non-JWs may copy the document for themselves but are not to use the official AHCD.

JWs are currently instructed not to complete, or even fold the AHCD (this is because you need to copy the card, and Big Brother is afraid of creases). The book study overseers will have further instructions at a later time. No doubt, this provision will also ensure compliance. Until this happens JWs are encouraged to research recent Watchtower and Awake! articles dealing with blood so as to complete the AHCD with a Bible-trained conscience.

IMO most JWs will sign off ?I REFUSE ALL.? This thinking was re-enforced by a very strong talk immediately after the introduction of the AHCD entitled ?The Role of Your Conscience.? During this talk the classic double-edge reasoning was given, essentially: JWs live by principles, but if anyone else is offended, we live by their principles. The WTS is clearly speaking out of both sides of its mouth when it comes to blood and conscience.

Reference for review: Watchtower 6/15/00, 10/15/00; Awake! 1/8/00, 10/22/91.

• Gill
    Gill

Going by ones conscience is a stupid way to make decisions. The most intelligent and educated witnesses will understand that they can take many of the 'lifesaving' options now available. The majority, uneducated and unfortunately dumb-ass, because of borg anti-education instructions, will refuse anything and everything and think they're being clever following their uneducated consciences.

Sad!

• CaptK
    CaptK

Can someone re-post the new Blood Card or the Advance care directive so that I can print this out on my printer. I would like to have this but it cuts off at the end of the page. Thanks

• Mark
    Mark

A letter was sent to all congregations in my state (the whole of the US?) asking the secretary to

destroy the instructions for filling out the DPA/blood card. These instructions, which were to

be distributed together with the DPA/blood card to each baptized publisher, had arrived to the

congregation only a couple of weeks before. Now, how's that for tacking in the wind?

The letter also included a modification to the written outline for the talk in the service meeting.

It said that those who thought their wishes regarding medical treatment were not represented

by either of the three options (a) - (c) in sections 3 and 4, would have other options

available in a document to be added to the DPA/blood card. The letter did not elaborate

on the details, and asked that no DPA/blood card should be completed until we

receive further information from 'mother'.

There really seems to be a power struggle among the Bether four star generals.

Mark.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Can you imagine what could be done to protect future rape-victim-children in the pedophile jungle of some congregations, if even a fraction of the effort that goes into these rubber-stamp no-blood efforts went into informative and honest proceedure for the pedophile issues?

I know it is not going to happen - but still.

Just my Opinion

Jeff

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Jeff,

So true, So true!

Their priorities are with pharisaical law making not safeguarding the sheep.

Sabrina

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    The letter also included a modification to the written outline for the talk in the service meeting. It said that those who thought their wishes regarding medical treatment were not represented by either of the three options (a) - (c) in sections 3 and 4, would have other options available in a document to be added to the DPA/blood card.

Thank you for adding this, I failed to mention it myself. This was also mentioned during our meeting.

Your take on the "generals" is interesting. It does seem that the issue of the AHCD has been clumsy at least.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    IMO most JWs will sign off ?I REFUSE ALL.?

Could be... I think it depends a lot on the culture of the local congregations. In one congregation I was in, the Secretary pretty much told everyone from the platform to accept all the fractions the Society allowed. Other dubs I spoke with, generally speaking, were also inclined to take as much leeway as the Society would give.

• FairMind
    FairMind

We had the same (of course) information presented last night. Probably the choice that should have been but was not clearly indicated in sections (3) and (4) was ?I accept all?. I plan to check ?I will accept all but? and then scratch out the word ?but?. It certainly seemed to me that the push was for everyone to exercise their Watchtower trained conscience and refuse all blood, fractions or otherwise. I don?t think it is a good idea to give a copy of one?s DPA to the congregation Secretary, as we never know how this can be used.

FM

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I plan to accept a blank card/directive, out of interest, but I would not complete it . One of the first things I did when I stopped practicing the faith was to discard the blood card and my field service ID card

Very interesting . It will force the dubs to think about what they are doing. The ones close enough to me to talk to have had an ostrich like mentality , carrying the card but thinking no further and hoping it will never happen . Now it seems they will have to make a decision.

I can imagine them asking "What should I put, Brother?" reply" it is up to you, but if you get it wrong then you may displease Jehovah"

next question" What is a big fraction and what is a small fraction?" answer " The Society have not said, that is up to your conscience"

question "So how can I decide?", frustrated answer "perhaps you should pray about it"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit