Jehovah's Witnesses, they're big in ...

by Simon 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

I just checked out Google Trends for "Jehovah's Witnesses" (Denomination). Not sure if the link will be to the term but let's try:

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%2Fm%2F0dtdq

Now, look at the "Regional Interest" which I presume shows where there are most searches. It is a story in itself. Countries with challenges appear to be prime targets for cults like this to exploit.

• Angola
    • Zambia
    • Rwanda
    • Congo (DRC)
    • Malawi
    • Togo
    • Haiti
    • Ghana
    • Zimbabwe
    • Madagascar

If you look at things by City then it's all Africa and South America. 

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

That list of countries seems so bizarre. I tried the term "grumpy cat", and it was U.S., Canada, Hungary, Australia, New Zealand, Latvia, Puerto Rico. Something more like I would expect. Evidently, most of the world would agree with grumpy cat...

• Simon
    Simon

That's what struck me ... a really strange list of countries and most have had recent tragedy or conflict.

Probably what makes for fertile territory.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    The witnesses are dead in westernized countries.  I think people are aware of them.
  • cofty
    cofty

That is an interesting trend.

Education and prosperity is the antidote to what the borg are peddling.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Type in JW.org

You will see big spike in mid-2014 and it is now dropping off precipitously since then. Same trend - mostly African countries.

I'm not convinced, however, that Google trends is all that accurate. Many sites that have hundreds of visitors each day barely pop up. I think that the trends thing only measures actual exact word searches, not visitors or views.

JV

• KateWild
    KateWild

Good point, all cults prey on the vulnerable. It's how they control people more easily, if they are vulnerable.

Kate xx

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    I agree with joe134cd and cofty - WTS growth is pretty much non-existent in western countries, and education is the antidote to extremist beliefs. 
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I wonder if that prevelance of searching represents people looking for jw's or perhaps people finding information about jw's, meaning being educated about the "real " jw's
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Education is the antidote to extremist beliefs. "

This applies not just to JW's, but to all extremist beliefs.

The difficulty arises in getting the Education into Thick Skulls.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit