1992 murder conviction is upheld - William Carlson

by Dogpatch 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Remember this guy?

1992 murder conviction is upheld

By Barbara Bell Special to the Tribune Published December 4, 2004
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-0412040178dec04,1,3774551.story?coll=chi-newslocalchicago-hed
    William Carlson's request to have his murder conviction thrown out was denied Friday by a Lake County judge, but Carlson said he plans to appeal.

Carlson, 30, who represented himself at a hearing before Associate Circuit Judge John Phillips, said he deserved a new trial because of problems with the indictment charging him with first-degree murder in the 1990 shooting deaths of his parents.

"It's specifically an attack on the validity of the indictment," Carlson said.

Carlson pleaded guilty in 1992 to killing his father in their Wildwood house. He is serving a 90-year sentence in Stateville Correctional Center in Joliet.

In a plea deal, Carlson avoided a life sentence when prosecutors dropped murder charges in connection with his mother's slaying. But Carlson's sentence for his father's death was extended because the crime was considered heinous and brutal, authorities said.

Carlson argued that because the "heinous and brutal" accusation was not mentioned in the grand jury indictment, it was flawed.

Assistant State's Atty. Jeff Pavletic said Carlson pleaded guilty to killing his father, so his argument did not apply. Carlson waived his rights to a jury trial when he entered the plea, Pavletic said.

Phillips agreed.

"I am going to deny you the relief you request," he told Carlson.

Pavletic said prosecutors were never sure what motivated Carlson, then 16, to kill his parents with a handgun he rented for $100 from classmates at Warren Township High School.

"That was the $64,000 question at the time," Pavletic said. Carlson feared getting in trouble with his father because he had sold some of his father's gold collection, and his parents were Jehovah's Witnesses, the prosecutor said.

A defense psychiatrist said Carlson had been sexually and mentally abused by his parents. But Pavletic doubted that Carlson was mentally ill because he plotted to kill his parents and returned the gun before fleeing to Canada in his parents' car.

"All of those things supported that this wasn't a person who didn't understand the acts he had committed," Pavletic said.

Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Yes, I not only remember him, I visited him when he was in jail, shortly after he was arrested. I knew the attorney who represented him at the time, gave him info I had about the Witnesses. When I went to see him ( William ) he wouldn't even speak to me . . .of course he had no idea who I was , just a guy who brought him a book to read . . . I wouldn't speak to a stranger either. My heart went out to the kid . . .sixteen years old.

• LDH
    LDH

SIXTEEN......let's see, that's three more lives ruined. Jehovah loves human sacrifices......

• willsadvocate
    willsadvocate

No wonder Will wouldnt talk to you when you visited him when he first went to jail. His sick well known Jehovah's Witness parents abused him SEVERELY and didnt deserve to live to abuse him or anyone else ANYMORE! You have no right to judge him until you have been in his shoes! If Jehovah loves him and watches him so much then where was Jehovah when he was being brutally sexually abused by his father and mentally fucked over by his mother???!!!! I would LOVE to see you people go through that and not fantasize about killing your own parents.

• Gill
    Gill

So, who advised this child, as he was then, to plead guilty?

• willsadvocate
    willsadvocate

he didnt know what else to do. they knew he was abused but i dont think they knew to what extent. he had no money and was only 16. Nobody advised him on what else to do and he was so ashamed of the abuse that he didnt speak up.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

had Will gotten help to deprogram from the JWs since being imprissoned? That would be very sad if he still thinks it is the truth?.

No one can judge another. No one fully understands what an individual has gone through.

• willsadvocate
    willsadvocate

yeah, he doesnt believe anymore. but i think he figured it out all on his own, without help, a very long time ago.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

btw, welcome to the board, wilsadvocate. Take a look around and you'll see this place is filled with xjws, many angry over the abuse they have suffered being a JW and in a cult.

Also, direct Will to the Silentlambs.com site. He might find others like him.

• kls
    kls

Willsadvocate as much as i hate to say it now but being beaten by both my parents killing them was on my mine very often, thinking that would make all the hurt go away, but thank goodness it never happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit