jw's developing in DUMBO

by Patriot 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Patriot
    Patriot

('http://www.nydailynews.com/boroughs/story/258281p-221230c.html')

Jehovah's Witnesses
    get DUMBO plan OK

BY HUGH SON
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

The controversial Jehovah's Witnesses residential complex in DUMBO all but got the green light yesterday when a key City Council committee voted in favor of a scaled-back version of the project.

Major changes to the 85 Jay St. complex include two of the four planned apartment towers being reduced by a total of 130 feet in height.

"We achieved what we agree is an acceptable compromise," said Councilman Tony Avella (D-Queens), chairman of the Council's Zoning and Franchises Committee.

Avella had "no doubt" the project would be approved at a final Council vote on Dec. 13.

Jehovah's Witnesses spokesman Richard Devine said the project would brighten a "dark and inhospitable" section of DUMBO. Construction is scheduled to start in 2006.

"This will bring a lot of life and activity to an area that really could use it," Devine said.

The four residential towers - the highest of which will be 20 stories - will house about 1,600 people in 888 studio and one-bedroom apartments. That is a significant addition to the estimated 2,000 who live in DUMBO now.

The 800,000-square-foot complex also will include a three-story auditorium, a dining hall and an 1,100-spot underground parking garage.

The two neighborhood groups that have opposed the plan because of its large scale - and who helped to reduce its size - reacted differently to the news.

The improvements are "nothing to sneeze at," said Nicholas Evans-Cato of the Vinegar Hill Association.

But Nancy Webster of the DUMBO Neighborhood Association expressed disappointment that the buildings weren't scaled back further.

"What the Witnesses are building is basically a development that works for them, not the rest of the neighborhood," she said.

Webster also lamented that the project will not include street-level retail shops along Jay St. because the religious group refuses to act as a commercial landlord.

She and other residents have no choice but to adjust to a new presence in DUMBO, Webster admitted.

"We'll try to be good neighbors," she said.

Originally published on December 3, 2004

• link
    link

Can someone explain why the Society needs 1600 people in that area? What will they all do? I thought that much of their production etc was moving out of the area?

link

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Your right, this doesn't make sense for furthering the WWW. Most everything has been moved to Patterson.

The pessimistic side of me would like to say that the WTS is building residences to lease out for profit, but I can't imagine how the GB could rationalize that to the R&F.

Almost doubling the population of DUMBO. Boy I would love that happening to the community I lived in

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit