Celebrites in the Borg

by what_Truth? 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

I was wondering how many famous actors, musicians, and other public figures either are JW's or became JW's at some point in their life. Eveyone knows about [b] Prince{b], and [b]Michael Jackson[/b], but I've also heard that they snagged up [b]George benson[b], a former Indian Prime Minister and rapper [b]Dres[/b] of the group The black Sheep. Obviously this will be a short list since the society doesn't do much to encourge any kind of success, especially not the kind that will leave you with millions of adoring fans. Still, I'm interested. Does anyone know of any other JW celebrities?

• minimus
    minimus

Mickey Spillane, the Jackson clan, a world champion golfer

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Minimus, The world famous golfer is Mark McComber (sp?) Orange Park, Florida congregation.

Coffee

• freedom96
    freedom96

George Benson has been a JW for years.

Venus and Serena Williams mother is supposed to be a witness.

JaRule grew up with somewhat of a JW background.

There is a much bigger list on a thread several months ago.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Check out the list at the following site:

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/fam_jw.html

• Ellemoon0
    Ellemoon0

Venus and Serena Williams are also JW's, not sure about how committed they are now. Hank Marvin (a guitarist from The Shadows). Cliff Richard also studied with the Witnesses years ago. They have quite a bit of information on the net about it.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

WELCOME EllemoonO. Start a thread and introduce yourself, so we can give you a proper reception and greetings.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

The Wayan brothers were raised JW. I don't know if they were ever baptised but they are no longer active/practising JW's.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    Venus and Serena Williams are also JW's, not sure about how committed they are now.

Seeing some of the dresses they've been wearing lately, I'm sure they've been counselled about "modest dress".

The first Canadian Idol, Ryan Malcolm, was a JW (according to Mrs. Kwin anyway).

I've never confirmed it but there was a music group called "The New Radicals" who I believe had some JW influence. Their CD was called, "Maybe you've been brainwashed too" and had songs like, "Jehovah made this whole joint for you". I also remember hearing a radio interview that the singer said that as a kid his parents made him dress up in a suit and tie to go to church each week and would have to go door to door preaching. What do you think? JW's?

Kwin

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I find it difficult to accept that celebrities are really JWs, I mean sincere and fully practicing JWs. Somehow the celebrity life and the JW life are mutually exclusive. Don't you all think?

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit