Russell and Matt. 24:14

by Haereticus 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

In his book ?The Plan of the Ages? Russell wrote that the preaching obligation of Matt.24:14 was already fulfilled by his time (italics original):

There are two texts chiefly relied upon by those who claim that the Lord will not come until after the Millenium, to which we would here call attention. One is, ?This gospel of yhe kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall end come.? (Matt. 24:14) They claim this as having reference to the conversion of the world before the end of the Gospel age. But witnessing to the world does not imply the conversion of the world. The text says nothing about how the testimony will be received. This witness has already been given. In 1861 the reports of the Bible Societies shoved that the Gospel had been published in every language of earth, though not all of earth?s millions had received it. No, not one half of the sixteen hundred millions living have ever heard the name of Jesus. Yet the condition of the text is fulfilled: the gospel has been preached in all the world for a witness ? to every nation. (The Plan of the Ages, 1908 and 1916 editions pp. 91-92)
  • candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

thats been claimed in my lifetime as well . i think around the time the fall of communism, the berlin wall coming down etc. i heard a talk saying matt 24:14 had been fulfilled and peace and security prophecy was being fulfilled so the end would be here ANY DAY...

• Dansk
    Dansk
    so the end would be here ANY DAY...

Remember the boy who cried wolf.............? Watchtower's claim is getting thinner and thinner and thinner....................

Ian

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Looks like Russell was at least giving some credit to the 'churches' at that time - an understanding that is more acceptable than the current one -

Under the current opinion of the Borg, if u were an Indian or Cambodian, you would not have much chance of hearing before dying at the BIG A would you?

Jeff

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

Jeff

Looks like Russell was at least giving some credit to the 'churches' at that time - an understanding that is more acceptable than the current one -

He had to, as it took several decades before WTBTS introduced the one and only NWT.

Under the current opinion of the Borg, if u were an Indian or Cambodian, you would not have much chance of hearing before dying at the BIG A would you?

Fifty years ago I was told that actually every and each human of (age?) this world will be faced personally with the glad tidings before the BIG A will sweep all but dubs. The only problem being that I did not know then that they had had several BIG A predictions already.

Mark

• setfree
    setfree

After realizing the imposibility in this, the "society" used Mat 10;23 "When they persecute you in one city, flee to another;for truly I say to you,You will by no means complete the circuit of the cities of Isreal until the Son of man arrives". I believe now they think that not everyone will be reached with the "Good news" Cheers

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Even so, they preach a different gospel - I don't know that they've done anything more than reveal themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit