Review: Draw Close to Jehovah Book

by Sirona 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Room 215
    Room 215

Here's Step One onto the slippery slope leading to the glorfication of groupthink and mindless submission to mindless subservience to a organizational flow chart of militaristic authority figures: ``he has human servants often likened to an ARMY."

The translation: So, we'll thank you to leave your individuality at the door; to please this God of ours, expect to have your head shaved, get issued a uniform and fall in line under the flag of WTBTS and salute your superiors uncomplainingly.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Great post, Sirona! Thanks very much for posting it!

Great responses! Interesting stuff.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thank you! My wife is currently studying this. When talking about it, she basically echoed the intro, talking about how important a relationship w/ Jehovah is etc. But now I know a bit about the little propaganda techniques used. Great work.

• BroBennett
    BroBennett

Your review is not all true. There is not just one writer, if you have viewed the second page you would of seen a letter to the reader, the book was made by publishers, not just one writer. Also, God's qualities are reviewed in the Bible... and this publication of 5 million books containing Bible verses (which hardly any churches open) are inside it using God's name. The book describes the problems with people trying to distance themselves from God in the beginning chapters, by taking God's name out of the Bible. If you no longer have your friends name, you can easily forget them. God's name is Jehovah in English and the name means, causes to become. It is funny that the only religious group that uses the correct name is Jehovah's Witnesses.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

BroBennett, that idea that only Jehovah's Witnesses "use" or appreciate God's Name appealed to me for many years too, and pretty much kept me in the org in spite of many reservations about other teachings. It even convinced me to go back, after being out for a few years.

But when I learned that only Jehovah's Witnesses seem to think it's all right to ADD the name Jehovah to the Christian Greek Scriptures in their New World Translation, where it isn't found in any of the existing manuscripts of the New Testament, then I smelled a rat.

And now I know better than to fall for that anymore.

• under74
    under74

"It is funny that the only religious group that uses the correct name is Jehovah's Witnesses."

Rastafarians and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church use the name Jehovah. So, I guess JWs aren't the only ones that know god's name, eh, BroBennett?

• euripides
    euripides

BroBennett, you write

God's name is Jehovah in English and the name means, causes to become. It is funny that the only religious group that uses the correct name is Jehovah's Witnesses.

There are several points to be made here, hopefully without totally hijacking the topic. "Jehovah" is probably one of the more erroneous attempts at a transliteration of the Tetragrammaton. To explain, when German scholars saw the vowel quantities for the word Adonai beneath the YHWH in the Hebrew text, they mistakenly assumed those were the correct vowels points, when in actuality they are placed there to remind the reader NOT to attempt to pronounce the name. And as J is pronounced like Y in German, the German scholars used Jeh- as the first three letters, pronouncing it "Yeh-". Putting aside the rectitude (or not) of the taboo of pronouncing the name, what is certain is that the correct pronunciation is lost, although the best guess is probably Yahweh, based on its cognate with the verb TO BE in Hebrew. As far as the critical (non)issue of using a mistaken anglicization, first off, one would have thought that something so important would not just be accepted because of slavish devotion to a pronouncement by a misinformed former WT president 74 years ago. "Jehovah" was not coined by J.F. Rutherford or any other Jehovah's Witness, as the name was in Christendom for years before that. As such, the name's legacy is either one of erroneous anglicization, or quaint adherence by one religious group whose leadership no longer grasps the isolating nature of calling themselves by an anachronistic rendering. Further, this name never appeared in the Greek text, so the Tetragrammaton is only one name of the Israelite God (of many others) in the Hebrew Bible. So much for this being the "correct name." Besides which, there certainly are other groups in the World Empire of False Religion" who use the name Yahweh, as in "Yahweh's Assembly" etc. Yet that can't identify them as the true religion any more than use of an error can identify the so-called true (and mutually exclusive) religion.

• Flash
    Flash
    Jehovah God = Watchtower
    Watchtower = Jehovah God

This may sound extreme, but I intend to show you how I reached that conclusion. The writer uses various strategies that are designed to disarm the reader and gradually begin to influence them.

When I recieved this book at the convention I chose not to read it. Their obviously now adapting the same strategy they use in the magazines to their books.

What the reader doesn?t realise is that it is also littered with the suggestion that there is something ?more? required and that ?something? is not drawing close to God, it is drawing close to the Watchtower organisation.

Their taught NOT to look criticaly at anything the "FDS/God's Channel" says or prints!

2 Corinthians 6:14 to 7:1
    14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belial[2] ? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people."[3]
    17"Therefore come out from them
    and be separate, says the Lord.
    Touch no unclean thing,
    and I will receive you."[4]
    18"I will be a Father to you,
    and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."[
    1Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

Shun everyone and isolate yourself from ALL non-witnesses and any Witness who doesn't measure up!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit