Blood in Bulgaria (again)

by link 7 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• link
    link

Here is a copy of the points agreed between the Bulgarian Government and the WBTS in order for the WBTS to get recognition and permission to operate in that country:

European Commission of Human Rights, Information Note no. 148 ***

II. Reports adopted

(i) Reports adopted under Article 28 para. 2 of the Convention (friendly settlement)

1. One Report was adopted by the plenary Commission under Article 28 para. 2 of the Convention, concluding that a friendly settlement had been secured:
    2. - KHRISTIANSKO SDRUZHENIE "SVIDETELI NA IEHOVA" (CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES) v. Bulgaria (Application No. 28626/95)

The case concerned the refusal to re-register the applicant association pursuant to a 1994 law, and the alleged suppression of its activities and those of its members. In settlement, the Government agreed to introduce legislation as soon as possible to provide for civilian service for conscientious objectors, as an alternative to military service, and to register the applicant association as a religion. The applicant [Jehovah's Witnesses] undertook with regard to its stance on blood transfusions to draft a statement for inclusion in its statute providing that members should have free choice in the matter for themselves and their children, without any control or sanction on the part of the association.

(Sorry, the formatting goes as soon as I press the submit button!)

Does anyone know if the Bulgarian Government actually gave the right to alternative service to conscientious objectors or if the WBTS actually wrote a statute releasing the Bulgarian Witnesses from their regulation and control regarding blood transfusions?

If not, how would it be possible for me to go about finding out?

link

3. seeitallclearlynow
    4. link
      link

Thanks for that s.i.a.c.n.

Perhaps I could put this another way.

Would anyone on the board be interested in the replies if I did manage to get a response to the two questions in my opening post from somewhere?

It would seem a total waste of time even trying if nobody is interested in the subject.

link

5. jwsons
    6. observador
      observador

I would be interested in learning more about this.

7. Voyager
      Voyager

From Watchtower CD-2003

2002/Yearbook/p. 13/.-- Legal Developments During the Service Year:

For reasons of conscience, Ivailo Stefanov refused to join the military in (Bulgaria). Consequently, has was sentenced to one and a half years in prison. Brother Stefanov took the case to the European Court of Human Rights on the grounds that his religious freedom had been violated. When the court announced that it would hear the case, the Bulgarian authorities arranged for a (FRIENDLY SETTLEMENT) that completely exonerated Brother Stefanov and other Witnesses who faced the same issue. On May 3, 2001, the court accepted the (friendly settlement). As part of the settlement, the Bulgarian authorities also agreed to (DECREASE) the length of alternative civilian service, which previously had been twice as long as compulsory military service.

Awake/1998/Nov/22nd/p.-29/. --Blood Seminar in Bulgaria.

A seminar emphasizing the conservation of blood during surgery and the use of alternatives to blood transfusions was held earlier this year in Sofia, Bulgaria. The seminar gave doctors from all over Bulgaria the opportunity to confer with a panel of experts on blood from eight countries. Professor Ivan Mladenov of Sofia commented that under the previous regime, little or nothing was known about blood contamination and blood-borne viruses' and that ('questions on the part of patients were viewed as bad behavior that could lead to denial of medical care). The response of those attending the seminar reflects an (INCREASED AWARENESS IN BULGARIA OF A PATIENT'S RIGHT TO SELF-DETERMINATION AND INFORMED CONSENT), as (ENDORSED BY THE EUROPEAN COURT of HUMAN RIGHTS).

8. link
      link

I still think it would be a good thing if someone could approach the government of Bulgaria and ask them straight out if they have seen the signed document stating that no sanctions will be taken against a Jehovahs Witness who chooses to have a blood transfusion.

This idea is not as crazy as it seems and I would be willing to do it myself if I knew how to go about the translating and finding the person to direct the letter to. I can't understand why ajwrb hasn't already done this and closed the matter with a single piece of conclusive evidence.

link

9. Narkissos
      Narkissos

Link:

It is quite plain from the European Court's ruling in the first of jwsons' links.

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit