Has Anyone Been to Prague?

by hemp lover 4 Replies latest jw friends

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Well, I'm about to get my first passport stamp. My daughter and I are going to Prague for Christmas. We've bought the travel guides and are trying to learn the basics of the Czech language. Unfortunately, I put FOSHLL in charge of teaching me some key phrases, so all I've learned to say so far is "Excuse me, where are the danger toilets?" and "I'd like to meet a youth with a knife."

We plan to see the main attractions, of course, Charles Bridge, Prague Castle, etc. My question to those who've been to Prague is this: do you have a favorite off the beaten track place to visit in the city? A favorite pub, museum, restaurant? What I'd really like to do is just choose a different direction each day and walk till we're lost.

We also have a seven-hour layover in London coming and going, during which time we'll have to change airports from Gatwick to Heathrow. Any ideas about what to do in that time span without missing our plane or even how long it takes to get from one airport to the other? I've tried googling London maps, but I'm having a hard time figuring the distance between the airports. Guess I need to buy a book on London too.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

Yes, and it's wonderful. You're wise to learn a little of the language. Few speak English, but many speak German. I had the same long layover in London. The subway ride to Piccadilly was about a half hour and cost about $10US in1998. There're millions things to see and do in Prague. Don't miss the Jewish museum. Can't remember the official name. You'll have a blast.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Depending on the time of Day,you may need that 7 hour gap just to get to heathrow!!Especially if its early evening.

Seriously though,it should only take a Hour.Its all Motorway.There will be a shuttle Bus but better still take the Train.

• Gadget
    Gadget

You can get the Gatwick express train to London Victoria, and then use the Underground to get to Heathrow. By the time you get your luggage back, get to the rail terminal, take the 30 min train into central London then get the underground to Heathrow you'll probably not have much time to sightsee. They're on opposite sides of a vary large city.

www.gatwickexpress.co.uk/

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en&sessionID=JP08_143620750&requestID=1&tripSelector4=1&itdLPxx_view=detail&tripSelection=on&command=nop

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Thanks for the tips. Maybe we'll take the shuttle bus, so we can at least see something of London.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit