Gaslighting abuse

by Illuminated 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Illuminated
    Illuminated

As a former WT member, would you say the WTS intentionally abuses it's members in the form of Gaslighting?

Gaslighting or gas-lighting is a form of mental abuse in which information is twisted/spun, selectively omitted to favor the abuser, or false information is presented with the intent of making victims doubt their own memory, perception and sanity.
    Sociopaths frequently use gaslighting tactics. Sociopaths consistently transgress social mores, break laws, and exploit others, but typically, are also charming and convincing liarswho consistently deny wrongdoing. Thus, some who have been victimized by sociopaths may doubt their perceptions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

• cleanideas
    cleanideas
    That just described my narcissistic JW mother.  So glad she shuns me now, leaving the JW's is still the best decision I ever made.  
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

As with every cult, the controllers are completely aware of the cult's history, purpose, methods and objectives.

The blindly obedient are so indoctrinated and gullible, that their masters can tell them in black & white that they have to be 100% compliant, even if it doesn't make sense. (w13 11/15 p. 20 par. 17) 

Since the indoctrinated are voluntarily following the dictats of a man-made corporation which has convinced them of its "divine choosing" - rather than following the Beroeans example of examining scriptural teachings - that makes every Witness accountable! (Acts 17:11; Romans 14:12)

Nazis said when they were caught - "we were only obeying orders".

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Very true. Very orwellian
  • carla
    carla

Very interesting! doing a quick Google search I found an article by a counselor on the subject. (it was just a Google search and I have not checked out the rest of his site but the gaslight article was spot on)

http://counsellingresource.com/features/2011/11/08/gaslighting/

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Thanks, Carla! Those links are great!

I would love to take each manipulation tactic mentioned and cite WT examples. The leaders of the WT are definitely "character-disturbed!" 

DD

• Giordano
    Giordano

I think Gas Lighting applies not only to a high control person but also to the  WTBTS: from Clara's scource: http://counsellingresource.com/features/2011/11/08/gaslighting/

"Their goal is always to win or secure whatever it is they want. And they’ll do whatever they have to do to get it. Sometimes the most effective way to do that is to avoid red-flagging their intentions but rather get the other person to unwittingly but voluntarily surrender. Instill shame, instill guilt, instill fear, or instill great doubt...."

I definitely think the WT uses Gaslighting as part of it's approach to their 'reasoning'. Circular logic does create doubt about your own rationality. Providing out of content scriptures to buttress circluar reasoning is eventually damaging.

"After questioning their perceptions, judgments, feelings, and even their sanity for so long in their relationship with their abusive manipulator, it’s often quite difficult for them to restore a balanced sense of self. 

To this day  I view with suspicion a singular scripture ripped out of it's normal context to support a personal or group opinion. I always called it 'cherry picking'  but it also seems to  be  gaslighting as well.

"The 'new light' doctrine is a case in point Proverb 4:18 Proverbs 4:18 Rather than extract a sentence, when taken in entirety the context of Proverbs chapter 4 is a comparison of behaviour between good and bad people, not the dispensing of doctrinal truth through an organization. From the outset, it can be seen that using this Scripture to discuss doctrinal errors and changes is without basis." 

jwfacts.com

Quoting a singular scripture without surrounding context support is often misleading...... finding a second similar scripture is simply doubling down.

• Odrade
    Odrade
    Absolutely. Date changes where they claim that "some have misunderstood...," "Jehovah's happy people." The ever present 'it's not us, it's you, if you are having trouble it's because you aren't praying hard/studying enough,' etc. 

It's a constant twisting of reality to suit their aims. Gaslighting 101.
  • Illuminated
    Illuminated
    In recent years, the term “gaslighting” has come to be applied to attempts by certain kinds of personalities, especially psychopaths — who are among the personalities most adept at sophisticated tactics of manipulation — to create so much doubt in the minds of their targets of exploitation that the victim no longer trusts their own judgment about things and buys into the assertions of the manipulator, thus coming under their power and control.
    Gaslighting is particularly effective when coupled with other tactics such as shaming and guilting. Anything that aids in getting another person to doubt their judgment and back down will work.

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts.

This was taken from the link Carla shared. Sounds like the core personality of WTS. The more research I do, the more I'm convinced they know exactly what they're doing. How can they not with all that money, attorneys and who knows who else backing them up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit