Anybody With WiFi?

by ColdRedRain 6 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I have WiFi at my house and I'm being constantly deconned. Every 15 seconds or so, my network is freezing up. Is it because I have spyware or a denial of service virus or is it because I may be getting a bad connection?

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

try to adjust the antenna of your access point. walls, metal objects and the like weaken the wifi connection. if you have winxp with service pack 2 installed, you probably get better results, if you let windows manage the connection. if you don't have the sp2 installed, you probably better use the vendors software, if available, to manage the connection.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Also, if you are connecting at Max transmission speed, try lowering it down. This helps with distance and reliabilty. Connecting to the internet, you won't notice a difference. You can lower down to 2 Meg, and you will still be faster than your internet connection, which probably isn't much faster than 512K.

• Simon
    Simon

Try different channels - there may be other things on similar frequencies and shifting a bit can help.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Do you get disconnected when you're right next to your WAP? Or do you have to be a certain distance away?

You can run a program called Netstumbler to show you the signal/noise ratio of your WiFi connection. I did this when I was having trouble with my microwave interrupting the wireless connection. With Netstumbler I was able to make an objective analysis about which channels work better. (To make it easier, only try channels 1, 6, or 11... you don't have to try every single channel.)

• one
    one

A decent unit should give you a signal strengh indication on screen somehow, just like any good radio.

Some machines and radio comm equp be cause interference, the sourse tipically can be located with special test equip. such as spectrum analyzer and "direction finders"t

There are 3 channels and the unit automatically tune to the a channel which is not being utilized by someonelse nearby or has less interference.

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

You don't use a 2.4Ghz wireless phone by chance?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit