Andrea Yates religion

by Delilah blue 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Delilah blue
    Delilah blue

Does anyone know what Andrea Yates religion is?
    She is the woman who drown her 5 children just recently.
    On good morning America today the qestion was asked if it was thought that her restrictive religion
    and her homeschooling added to the stress and depression she was in.
    Restrictive religion? that had a familiar ring to it . Can anyone answer, what religion was she?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

She wasn't a JW.

When I first heard the story, and got the details of, 5 kids at a relatively young age combined with homeschooling, I thought, "religion had something to do with this". The more I hear about it, the more I am sure it did.

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

I actually live about 1 mile from the Yates home, I used to live only two blocks from them and can remember there corner home always being a place where the parents were always out in the yard with the kids spending time with them.

My cousin has a very good friend who's husband was real close to Mr. Yates. And what I can piece together they had no specific religion that they called there own. I also learned that Mr.Yates did read the Bible quite often and was a very male chauvanist type of person that always insisted that his wife stay home and have kid's.

Each child was named after a bible character, I believe there names were John,Paul,Luke,David and Mary.

I have not picked up on anything else as far as a cult situation or anything like that.

• OrangeBlossom
    OrangeBlossom

I heard on the news that she was "Church of Christ". I don't know that I would consider them a cult, but they do have ways that remind me of JW's, not doctrinally, but if you leave the religion, you are definitely looked down upon. My husband has tons of relatives that are Church of Christ and also have a neighbor that is a deacon. He keeps coming over to try and convert me. I told him that joining CofC would be no better than being a JW. I'm through with organized religion.

• Prisca
    Prisca

This is from TIME magazine, July 2 2001, in the article [i]"A Mother No More"

It was her second bout with the illness. Following the birth of her fourth child, in 1999, Andrea, a former nurse, was hospitalized after swallowing pills in a suicide attempt. Her husband claimed that she recovered with medication. Last November she gave birth to a fifth child and seemed O.K. But in March Andrea's father died, and she began to act "withdrawn" and "robotic," Russell says. She went back on anti-depressants and antipsychotics but didn't respond as well as she had before. She was functioning, Russell says, at "maybe 65%" and struggled to continue homeschooling her kids. Russell's mother began coming by each day to help out.

....Most mothers know something of the mental slipperiness that can come with a new baby. Up to three-quarters of them experience some mild form of postpartum "blues"--a sense of anxiety and defeat that usually fades in a few days. About 10% to 15% experience actual depression. But in 1 of every 1,000 births, the mother develops what is called postpartum psychosis, in which she breaks from reality, in rare cases becoming violent. Andrea told police she first thought of killing her children months before, convinced that she was a bad mother who had permanently damaged them, according to the Dallas Morning News.

Among the questions that linger: Why did Andrea reportedly go off antipsychotic medication weeks before the tragedy? And having already endured one harrowing postpartum episode, why did she have another child? Andrea had been prescribed Haldol, an antipsychotic, after the birth of her fourth child. "If she were indeed psychotic [then], she should not have gotten pregnant again," argues Dr. Viven Burt, a psychiatrist at UCLA. Women who have once endured postpartum depression risk a 50% chance of recurrence.

If women do go through with a subsequent pregnancy, Burt argues, they should be treated throughout with antidepressants and antipsychotics. While the idea of medicating a pregnant woman for mental disorders is controversial, it is gaining credibility among doctors who believe the benefits to mother and child outweigh the risks.

Prosecutors have charged Andrea with capital murder and may pursue the death penalty. Russell says he forgives his wife and blames her illness instead. He says he is glad his son Noah won at horse the last time they played basketball. But he wondered what he might have done differently. Asked by reporters whether he had missed some clue, Russell replied, "I suppose. I don't know. I don't know. I don't know how to answer that question."

REPORTED BY DEBORAH FOWLER/HOUSTON AND ALICE PARK/NEW YORK

A sad story, and an extreme case of post-natal depression, but sadly this was one woman who saw no way out for herself, or her children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit