From Christian Science to Mormon to Pentecostal to JW??

by Storm on Horizon 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Storm on Horizon
    Storm on Horizon

Greetings all, In the early part of my childhood, I was raised in the Christian Science church, after which began attending the church of Religious Science. When I was 15, I joined the LDS (Mormon)church. I left the LDS church at 18 years old, had a "born again" experience, joined a fanatical charismatic church, and then went to Bible college to study ministry. About two and 1/2 years ago I fell away from church life all together after finding out that my Pastor had been living in a homosexual relationship with the youth pastor. Now, at 24 years old, I have a good and prosperous career, but am constantly unfulfilled and on a spiritual search. I recently went to the Watchtower site and gave them my contact information, as I was interested in finding out a bit more about this organization. After reading some of these posts, I'm beginning to think I should not have done this! I seem to always be drawn to the extremes... Anyone else out there been on a similar journey? Peace Storm on Horizon

• metatron
    metatron

As you note, some of us are attracted to extremes. Witnesses tend to be mindlessly loyal to the Watchtower Inc.

and are eager to preach whatever they feel are the organizations' best features - while denying scandals and the sort

or cover-ups common to any fanatical religion. Lotsa luck

metatron

• kls
    kls

Welcome Storm . you can always block their mailings. You seem to be searching for something in your life. Please do some investigating before you make any decisions on the JWs or they will trap you like they have done to so many.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Hey Storm,

I was (am, I guess, depending on who you talk to) a JW for 15 years. It isn't the worst life you could choose to live, but you could find better I'm sure. It's almost like being in a club where everybody agrees to like everybody else, or at least act like it. It sounds nice, but it starts to feel very plastic after awhile. And of course, not everybody can maintain the facade, so there are hurt feelings. And guilt, because you know you SHOULD like this idiot, but you just can't.

If the Bible were God's word, then the JW's would have my vote for Most Likely To Have It Right. Not all on this board wold agree with that, of course, and that's ok. It's a little like arguing over who best understands The Lord of the Rings. In the end, nobody can really be "right" and it doesn't matter anyway.

I found it very enlightening to consider the possibility of a universe without a God. Though Dawkins is as evangelical as any Bible-thumper, I enjoyed his book "The Blind Watchmaker". It really showed the power and reasonableness of evolution by natural selection. I never bought it before, as viewed through the Watchtower lens. But after reading Dawkins book, really pondering the whole deal, and digging around on the Internet, I have to say I buy it. And it makes so much sense, it's much more fulfilling an answer than looking to a deity.

Of course, you're not going to get the whole answer of JW's here. Neither will you get it from JW's. I wish you well in your research!

-Dave

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hello and welcome to the forum Storm,

At least you have realised that you are being drawn to the extremes. That is a good start.

I'd strongly advise you to avoid joining any religious groups for a while. By all means, read a lot and find out about differing beliefs, but IMHO you'd be better off having a good break from extreme groups. Membership can seem like a drug, but as you are probably aware, that drug wears off and you can be hurt in the meantime.

I'm a little bit like you. My mum was born again christian when we were kids, then I became JW at the age of 12. I left JWs nearly 5 years ago and now I'm Wiccan (which some people consider "extreme"). Fortunately I've found a small group who are not controlling and I pretty much have my own freedom to come and go as I please with them. Saying that, I've found it all quite difficult on occasion...I have so many preconceptions about it all that I've found myself projecting some bad stuff onto the new group I'm with. Gladly, I spent a good couple of years after leaving JWs not being part of any churches, and that was good for me, so it might be good for you to do the same.

Good luck!

Sirona

• Storm on Horizon
    Storm on Horizon

Good evening all. Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I'll comment to each person briefly... Metatron, Your comment about witnesses being mindlessly loyal to the Watchtower is scary. After all the different controlling organizations I have been a part of in my life, the last thing I want to do is become mindlessly loyal and controlled by the ignorance of a few. KLS, Yes, I am searching for something in my life. I am a constant seeker - in both the physical and "spiritual" world. I am constantly reading and desiring to educate myself about a wide variety of topics. Sometimes I don't focus on any one thing long enough to master it - and that can be my downfall. AlmostAtheist, I suppose I don't ever want to be "almost atheist." My belief in something beyond myself, something other worldy - some other force of being, is at the core of who I am. I can't escape it... Perhaps if my mother had indoctrinated me in JRR Tolkien instead of Mary Baker Eddy, Joseph Smith, or Benny Hinn, I'd be a lot better off! Sirona, I find it interesting that you have chosen the Wiccan path. I have done some surface research on paganism and wicca. I've been drawn to some aspects of the nature religions, but find some of the, in my humble opinion, hocus pocus ceremonies, incantations, etc., too fantastical for me. Of course, I've never immersed myself, met anyone in "real time", or been a part of any pagan circles, so I would be the absolute last person that could make a valid judgement. I simply have avoided it due to some of my readings, though I must say some aspects of it all still really intrigues me!!! No JWs or Mormons at my door today, though I had a mormon invite me to dinner on Monday night. They never give up! Oy ve! Hope you all are well. Storm on Horizon (headed towards Florida)

• Storm on Horizon
    Storm on Horizon

I apologize that my former post is one long paragraph... I had not written it as such... not sure why this is happening when I write on this board.. ... testing ....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit