Did you ever live in a Kingdom Hall?

by No Apologies 6 Replies latest jw friends

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Ok I know there are many posters here who have lived and worked at Bethel or a branch office. But I got to wondering how many of you have lived in a Kingdom Hall, i.e. the wonderful apartment(s) found in many Kingdom Halls. If so, any stories you care to share?

And yes, I have lived in a Kingdom Hall. My wife and I were pioneeting at the time, and were allowed usage of the basement apartment. The most embarassing situation was one evening when I and my wife were uh... oh how can I phrase this in a family-friendly way...being intimate. Yeah, that works. Anyway, about then the C.O. knocks on the door! Imagine our surprise! Since we were not prepared for receiving visitors, it took a few moments for me to answer the door in a presentable manner. It seems the only phone in the Hall at the time was in the apartment, and he had some urgent call he needed to make (see, kids, back then people did not have cell phones that they carried around. It was the Dark Ages).

Coincidently, one of the C.O.'s recommendations at the end of the week was that the Hall have its own phone line installed. Of course, this was promptly done.

No Apologies

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I wouldn't really call it "Living", but no I didn't.

• Odrade
    Odrade

sometimes I felt like I lived in the Kingdumb Hell.

• startingover
    startingover

Yup The KH was a house and we lived in the top floor. Thinking back, I remember traveling to all the other congregations in the circuit when my dad gave an out of town talk. None of them had an actual KH, but they met in storefronts, upstairs rooms, etc. I also remember at this time (early 60's) when none of the congs actually owned a KH, the dubs used to slam the Catholic church for owning so much property.

When I bring this up to my parents they act like they never said anything bad about the Catholics. Yeah right, a 10 year old kid just came up with that on his own.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

yes. My brother and I lived in Central America and they built a new KH with two suites. We were pioneering so we got one. For the most part it went well, but there were a few negative incidents. We had no furniture so we used to borrow a bench from the hall, then bring it back before each meeting. One day when my parents were visiting, the elders decided we should not be borrowing the bench, so they took it away & took away our key to the hall so we couldn't ever borrow it again. One of the native brothers came by and saw that we were left sitting on the floor, so he kindly brought two chairs from his house so my parents could at least sit.

It was actually a nice little suite, and I have mostly fond memories otherwise.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Well I thought I was alive when I was attending, but then maybe it was a case of the walking dead! 14 years of "living" was probably more adequately described as "enduring".

carmel

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

When I was pioneering, this other fellow and I lived in a trailer right outside the Kingdom Hall. There was no air conditioning (only fans) and it was still hot as Dante's inferno. Wonder if that's how Kingdom Halls acquired the name Kingdumb Hells?

No, those are not good memories!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit