Night Shift.

by apostate 5 Replies latest jw friends

• apostate
    apostate

I read a couple of books on cults. They all claim that cults use sleep deprivation to burn their members out, to make them more vulnerable to mind control.

Lot’s of Jehovah’s Witnesses are janitors, working nights and go out in service during the days. It seems to be the case here in Canada and if I recall it correctly from your posts it is so in the USA too.

I was just wondering if JWs were encouraged by the Watchtower to bee janitors. (I went to the meetings during the nineties, I don’t know much about the old things.) It may be their sneaky way to submit JWs to sleep deprivation.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Apostate: You make a good observation on this. Many JWs are janotors in the USA as well. But, I would also add these to the point. Many JWs, myself included, engage in rigorous schedules where they work long days, then get home in time to jamb some food down their throat, and off to a long meeting. Two hours at a meeting can be taxing. Think too about the numbers of JWs that are in a state of mind-numbness at conventions, worn out with the long hours of a steady stream of droaning talks.

Admittedly, the Watch Tower is not as bad as more dealy cults where the schedule is even worse, more hours, and more days of the week. But, sleep depravation can be a problem, and one that is likely a concern among JWs. Thanks again. - Amazing

• mustang
    mustang

Ah, the blessed night shift. That's how I pulled off the best part of my drift-away plan. A brother came over to me at work and asked about my next TMS part, as I hadn't been to a few meetings. 'Well,
    bro. ---, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. I need the extra money and I'll be starting nights on the 1st of the month. I guess the TMS school will be a little hard to make. Thanks.'

Night shift could be a mixed blessing, though. Shortly before that, and having newly arrived in town, (also part of the drift-away plan) I was doing JANITOR (night shift, what else) work w/ some brother who was a pioneer. He also wasn't carrying a full load upstairs. He kept telling me how wonderful this job was. All I could see was the next mile of floor to buffer, looking over his shoulder. Having been exposed to technical work, and having the proper training, I took the next job that came up and said INTERESTING!!!

Since work is about a third of one's life (8 hour/day part of most of every week), I thought about the fact that it should carry one's interest, or things would be really unenjoyable. I never gave serious thought at any time in my life to ending it. But at that moment, in that hallway, I realized that there could be something worse than death (or hellfire): LIFETIME DOOMED TO WASHING, WAXING AND BUFFING FLOORS!!!

Mustang
    'Be all that you can be' leaves WTS motto's in the dust

• Prisca
    Prisca

In America they may be janitors, but in Australia they become house cleaners or window cleaners.

The idea is that they can demand their own working days/hours, earn $20 per hour (less tax-deductable costs) and pioneer. That's the theory anyway.

Then they reach 50 and realise they are still renting, have no provision made for retirement, have another 10 or 15 years of working life ahead of them, and they drive a bomb car.

I was a comparative rebel, and didn't choose pioneering. I wasn't allowed to go to uni, but sought out a full-time job, more of a nescessary, thanks to being kicked out of home at 18. For some reason I just couldn't see where in the Bible it said a Christian must be a pioneer, so I was content with 10hours a month and lived as closely to being a model JW as I could.

Then I realised - hang on a moment, this religion isn't all what it is cracked up to be!!!

And so I decided to take charge of my life, and not rely on a premise that "the end is coming soon". Best decision I ever made.

• Latte
    Latte

Here in the UK it's Window technician's and Janitors. It truly amazes me to hear the different life stories from so many of the posters here,the far-reaching impact which the borg. has had on peoples lives, is sad, and sadder still,that it is still doing so.

I have just driven past an still-JW who pretended yet again not to see me, he has two very intelligent daughters that could be anything they want to be..........they are nicely 'hemmed in' ..........for now.

Latte

• mustang
    mustang

For those of you in other countries, the U.S. Army ran quite a few years worth of TV/poster ad's with the slogan 'Be All That You can Be'.

Actually, it could be a good deal. They would give you a sporting chance of getting a good MOS (Military Occupational Specialty), where you might get some decent training.

You could get shot, of course. Yeah, OK, so the Recruiter didn't live up to his promises, either.

So, get out and take them up on the G.I. Bill for school. And if you did a 2nd hitch, they pretty much had to do some of it your way, plus pay a re-enlistment bonus, plus school afterwards.

While not recommending the Army, you have to notice that they got one thing right: do the best you can for yourself and you will do other things better, too. They learned to dish out the incentives.

I think that I remember hearing Knorr espouse the virtue's of being a short-order cook. That was in Yankee Stadium, sometime in the 50's/early 60's.

Note that you couldn't go for the max and be a REAL CHEF. You had to settle for second best. Its always 2nd best (or worse) with these ad-visors. There is always this mistrust or jealousy of your making some decision for yourself.

Well, the whole thing is a false economy. Here is the poor, under-skilled brother slaving long hours, maybe including a second job. So, he probably does everything half-rate: family, job1, job2 and JW duties.

There is also the fear of a person becoming prideful in their making achievements and headway as an individual.

The real truth is that the pressures of living always become JOB#1, no matter what. If the individual is prepared to do the best they can, and develop as an individual, a better class of drone may follow. Balance could be stressed to round out the package.

All-in-all, instead of a well-rounded individual (who might be better at the ministry) you end up with the cheaply packaged product of a scrooge or skinflint.

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit