"Volunteer Ministers" - Background checks?

by Uzzah 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

I am very active as a volunteer with an international relief organziation. A few weeks back I attended a Volunteer Management seminar hosted by this group.

Even in times of disaster, any and all volunteers have to go through a screening process, including 2 interviews plus a police background check. This is not a 'suggestion' but it was inferred that Canadian law requires this to be done for any volunteer based organization when the volunteers would have direct access to the public or be put in a position of trust.

Bethel proudly declares their force of volunteer ministers at the Branch as well as calling Publishers by the same name. Could not this be a means of getting the JW's to stop sending criminals (i.e child rapists) to unsuspecting people in our neighbourhoods?

Before the JW's send volunteers out to the public, what background checks have been done? Would it be an infringemnt of civil liberties to insist that the JW's like any other charity meet this requirement?

Thoughts?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

As far as I know the JWs do not screen like that. I would not be surprised to find out that they got some sort of "religious" exemption, or are just ignoring it all together until a JW gets picked up by the police.

Has anyone else up in Canada heard of this?

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

That would open a huge can of worms and it simply isn't going to happen. Not in America, anyway. This would require that any door-to-door preachers would have to undergo background checks. That includes not just the Jdubs, Hare Krishnas, Moonies, and other small scale religions, but also some huge ones like Mormons and (some) Baptists. The Baptists and Mormons have too much political clout and too many reasons for not liking the idea. It's a dead bird, won't fly.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Thanks for the comments so far.

Here is a link from Volunteer Canada where they discuss screening:

http://www.volunteer.ca/volcan/eng/content/screening/screening.php?display=3,2,3

This is from the terminology section of the same web site:

Duty of Care
    The concept of duty of care identifies the relationship that exists between two persons (e.g. two individuals, an individual and an organization) and establishes the obligations that one owes the other, in particular the obligation to exercise reasonable care with respect to the interests of the other, including protection from harm. The duty of care arises from the common law, as well as municipal, provincial, federal and international statutes.

Liability
    Liability refers to the duties, obligations or responsibilities imposed on a person by common law or by statute. As it is commonly used, we speak of a person or organization being held legally liable for something, i.e., through a legal action, the individual or organization has been found legally responsible for an action or inaction in a particular set of circumstances and is required to pay damages to someone harmed as a result.

• Occupiers' Liability: requires that the person (an individual, an organization) in possession of premises owes a duty of care to those who come on the premises and must take reasonable care to protect them from harm that might come through their programs, on their premises or at the hands of a third party on the premises.
    • Direct Liability: deals specifically with the issue of fault.
    • Vicarious Liability: is the liability an organization takes on for the actions of those who function on its behalf.

Police Records Check
    The process of securing information from the police about individuals, as well as to describe the form or report in which information is provided. It may include a check of national or local and regional police records. At the end of the process, a report is issued. The report may simply identify whether or not someone has a criminal record, or it may provide details of actual offences. Just as the process varies among police agencies, so too do the report forms.

Position of Trust
    A position of trust identifies a setting in which someone is placed in a position of authority over another person in an ongoing relationship. A position of trust implies that someone has some degree of power over another, that the relationship is unequal. Individuals in positions of trust may be family members, friends, caregivers, volunteers, or employees.

The question of whether a position of trust exists depends on the relationship and on the degree of authority, reliance and dependence in it, and not on the question of payment or salary. People may also assume positions of trust with respect to finances, rather than individuals.

Standard of Care
    The standard of care refers to the degree or level of service, attention, care, and protection that one person owes another according to the law, usually the law of negligence. The required standard varies according to the circumstances of each situation, and determining the appropriate standard is often not a simple matter.

Volunteer
    A volunteer is an individual:

• Who chooses to undertake a service or activity; someone who is not coerced or compelled to do this activity
    • Who does this activity in service to an individual or an organization, or to assist the community-at-large
    • Who does not receive a salary or wage for this service or activity.

Vulnerable Person
    This term is used to denote individuals who have difficulty protecting themselves and are therefore at greater risk of harm. People may be vulnerable because of age, disability or handicap, or circumstances. Vulnerability may be a temporary or a permanent condition.

This is purposely a broad definition, one that can include children, youth, senior citizens, people with physical, developmental, social, emotional, or other disabilities, as well as people who are victims of crime or harm.

Vulnerable person will also include people who have been victims or crime or accident, or are otherwise left with little defence against those who would harm them.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I would be disturbed to find out that the WTS, or anyone for that matter, could do a background check on me without my consent. I would certainly consider it an invasion of my privacy. Of course, that's probably due to my animosity toward them.

Considering the fact that they all go from door to door as well as accosting people on the streets, I think background checks should be done, but not by the Society. It should be done by an independent third party that has no reason to cover over watchtower indiscretions, particularly in light of the child abuse scandals.

Walter

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

These checks are done with the permission of the volunteer. It is a condition for being used as a volunteer.

"No police check, sorry, we can't use your help."

Smirking, I wonder how many Witnesses would use this as an excuse not to go door-to-door. LOL

Uzzah

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    I wonder how many Witnesses would use this as an excuse not to go door-to-door.

I probably would have.

But I have to wonder how many current JWs would not pass a background check.

Walter

• oneofmany
    oneofmany

In many if not most or all states in the United States of America persons who have day to day access to children are required by state law to go to a police station and request that the police do a background check then provide a printed statement that they found you had committed no crimes in the past greater than, say, a traffic ticket, after which you must take the document back to the potential employer who can then consider you for employment.

Therefore I believe you have an excellent point which the attorneys and others need to consider carefully. It could remove a lot of pedophiles, murderers and other dangerous persons from going to people's doors under mask of ministry etc even as it has served to protect people, including children, from for example camp counselors of criminal backgrounds, school teachers and so forth.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

It would just be another step in the USA becomming a police state. Any time that a authoritarian regime has wanted to take away someone's rights, they usually do it "For the Children"

• allpoweredup
    allpoweredup

Since background checks have been required for decades to the common good, the allegation that a police state would result from requiring "ministers" going door-to-door to have them is bogus.

You with the mask. I notice you have run in and tried to dash cold water on other posted ideas for helping the children and others from Watchtower tyranny.

Uzzah, good idea, so keep pushing it ahead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit