To End All Wars

by roybatty 7 Replies latest jw friends

• roybatty
    roybatty

Just watched this movie on DVD. It's about WWII POWs in a Japanese camp forced to build the Death Railroad. It's based upon real people and real events. The theme of the movie was centered on justice, revenge and forgiveness and the effect it has on one when you forgive another human being who probably doesn't deserve it. The contrast between the Scottish soldiers who "forgave" their Japanese captors and those who didn't was interesting. It eludes me how some people can forgive others for such cruel behavior. Just wondering if anyone else saw it and what they thought about the movie and it's message.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I'm not sure if it was the same program, but months ago I saw something similar on The History Channel. Most of the prisoners were British military with a few Americans, Australians and New Zealanders thrown in. It was a very interesting documentary. Seeing what they were put through, forgiveness would be low on my list. Yet, some did forgive and others, to this day will have nothing to do with the Japanese, including buying anything from Japan. I guess it all depends on what you went through, and how much mentally you can 'move on'.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Seeing what they were put through, forgiveness would be low on my list. Yet, some did forgive and others, to this day will have nothing to do with the Japanese, including buying anything from Japan. I guess it all depends on what you went through, and how much mentally you can 'move on'.

Seeing these men not take revenage on their Japanese tormentors was hard to understand. My grandfather was a Dutch soldier during WWII. He was captured and later executed by the Japanese. I never knew the man or any of the Japanese men who killed him but I have this hatred for a group of people I don't even know. I just don't understand how some of these men forgave their captors after the hell they have been put through.

Makes me realize that "hot spots" in the world where the US is present will have long lasting effects on how the local population views us.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Forgiveness is purely for the health (mental and physical) of the person doing the forgiving. If you can get revenge before forgiving, it's even better. But then, you might have to worry about the other taking some action, or you might feel bad about what you did.

S

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    Re: Re: To End All Wars

A bit off topic, sorry Roybatty but I felt the need to comment on the many soldiers I have seen return from Iraq these last few months. Particularly that of a man I met the other night while watching the fire works for the Fourth of July-- a time we celebrate war in a way. ( I know it's our freedom from being British citizens).

The haunted look in his eyes, his lost appearance, the sadness about him, his lost leg... all are in favor of ending all wars.

I will never forget the look in the eyes of these men and if others higher up could see such perhaps this would force and end to all wars.

Cassi

• roybatty
    roybatty

Cas, I can understand "forgiving" a fellow soldier, whether an Iraqi forgiving a US grunt or the other way around. One can reason that each was following orders. But, if you were a close friend of Nick Berg could you forgive what those animals did to him? On the other hand, if you were an Iraqi POW caught up in the prison abuse scandal, could you forgive what those criminals did to you? Just makes me wonder what's justice and what's revenge and where does mercy fit in.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Roybatty

Just makes me wonder what's justice and what's revenge and where does mercy fit in.

It's all subjective, usually based on who wins the war. In the history books, the winners are almost always treated as heros, the losers as bastards, animals, war criminals, or some other form of scum. Just study history; it's full of this.

We are just a higher form of animal. So, you could ask, where does justice, mercy and revenge fit in in the animal sphere. It doesn't, does it? They are just social inventions ... gives 'civilisation' a more orderly facade.

S

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface
    Satanus : Forgiveness is purely for the health (mental and physical) of the person doing the forgiving. If you can get revenge before forgiving, it's even better. But then, you might have to worry about the other taking some action, or you might feel bad about what you did.

S

I agree with that : Also the first need of a victime is to be recognise as a victime (it is the first step for them to hill and forgive)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit