Milestone in my mind, not Millstone round my neck

by gitasatsangha 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

It was Monday at the Temple. Our sangha (Buddhist community) meets usually on Mondays at the local monastary. It's not a pagoda or anytihng, it's actually an old farm house which has been well maintained. There's room for walks outside in the garden, there's a shrine room, and the rest of the house is for the use of the monks and their pet dog (an annoying mutt who likes to sit beside you and fart during meditation, when you can't really do anything about him, but I digress..)

There IS a purpose to this experience, I assure you. Get a snack and read on. Some people showed up this Monday who hadn't been there before. They were shown places they could sit, and where the extra cushions were for. After that we all went out for walking meditation, which looks a bit wierd if you haven't seen before, but is a great relief to the ankles ANd the mind after a long time of sitting crosslegged. So they walked with us. After they came back we all filed back inside to the shrine room for a dharma talk, which is basically an open group discussion about whatever comes to mind, though there usually is some sort of common subject. This time it was a sutra, but typically the conversations ramble, and end up being about something totally different, but perhaps someplace you needed to go, as so most conversations. A far cry from the question and answer "Book Studies" I was once used to. I thought about that with some humour as I sat down for this.

We were waiting to get started, and noticed one of our regulars hadn't come back yet, and neither had the new folks. I hadn't really known whether the new folks had would stay or leave, because it was their first time, and oftentimes, first times are last times. Also, it was pretty hot in the shrine room without air conditioning, and attendance naturally goes down in summer. You know the expression that there are no Unitarians in the summertime? Well the same is true for us, a little. We waited to see if anyone would come back. Finally the regular came back. He said something to the effect of "Sorry about that, I was just talking with those folks. They really liked it and wanted to come back"

All at once on several of our faces came this look of worry. It was a very readable look. Had he been proselytizing? That would have been at best considered rude. He caught this and said abruptly "They just had some questions to ask me, that's all."

What is the sound of someone saying "wheww" silently? We got back to our talk. And yet I was chuckling, thinking how far things had come for me, to be worried that a friend might be preaching to someone, not because of what he might be saying, but because he might have not been asked to do so.

Have you ever hit some sort of milestone where you KNEW you had grown from your experience as a witness. What was it?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

their pet dog (an annoying mutt who likes to sit beside you and fart during meditation, when you can't really do anything about him,
    Wouldn't the Buddha do the same?

• talley
    talley

I thought my 'milestone' had been enjoying sending Christmas cards Dec.'02. Not so.

Memorial day of '03, Hubby wanted me to go with him to the local 'celebration' at the cemetery here in River Falls. I was enjoying myself with the music and speakers, then got a bit more serious as the program went along; but when an old veteran played TAPS on the bugle, and someone else up the hill played an echoing bugle that I completely lost it and could not keep the tears back and my throat choked with grattitude to these men and my country. I had missed feeling patriotic soooo much!

Seems like I have become again who I once was, for instance I was the first woman in AFROTC at Michigan State University back in 1959, very patriotic, conservitive, and seriously considered making the military my career. Youth is now long behind me, but I can still take pride in the principles that have made this country great. I wallowed in the coverage of Regan's funeral. And find that at this time in my life I do not suffer fools gladly ( like France for example ).

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha
    . And find that at this time in my life I do not suffer fools gladly ( like France for example ).

Does everything have to be politicized? We got at least one French poster, btw, thanks a lot.

• Flash
    Flash

For me, as small as it may sound, it was not feeling guilty about not attending meetings. Before I left I was really trying to get with the program in those areas I considered neutral or least harmful. After about a year and a half of not attending had passed so did the guilt and the awareness of what 'night' it was. It is a relief not to be concerned about it anymore.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

its cool to not have to put a suit on Thursday nights,yep

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

When my family and I went to an Alan Jackson (country and western singer) concert, he sang the song: "Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning?" (a song about 9/11), and the audience stood up out of respect for those killed at the WTC.

My mother and brother (JW's) were there and they remained seated (although I can't really figure out why, since it's not really a patriotic song) while the rest of the family and assorted boyfriends/girlfriends/wives stood up. It was a milestone because we all (former JWs) stood and showed our respect for those murdered at the WTC, despite my seated JW Mom looking at my seated JW brother and making the "pshawww" hand wave with her hand while whispering and rolling her eyes at the lyrics:

"I'm just a singer of simple songs
    I'm not a real political man
    I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell
    you the difference in Iraq and Iran
    But I know Jesus and I talk to God
    And I remember this from when I was young
    Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us
    And the greatest is love"

I was somewhat disconcerted, embarassed, and disappointed, but tried to focus on the song. It was a great concert, despite my Mother having "conscience" problems about going until she saw another lady in her congregation was there. I mean.. I can see having problems with a band with lyrics about murder, rape and mayhem.. but Alan JACKSON?? C'mon.

CG

• Flash
    Flash
    My mother and brother (JW's) were there and they remained seated (although I can't really figure out why, since it's not really a patriotic song) while the rest of the family and assorted boyfriends/girlfriends/wives stood up. It was a milestone because we all (former JWs) stood and showed our respect for those murdered at the WTC, despite my seated JW Mom looking at my seated JW brother and making the "pshawww" hand wave with her hand while whispering and rolling her eyes at the lyrics:

This is sad and shows how deep the cult mentality goes and reveals how self-righteous the Witnesses are!

(No disrespect intended...)

• Flash
    Flash

Yeah, tell me about it...Say is that a picture of SoDamn Insane your using now?? LOL

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

not sure. apparently my posts are getting deleted by an overzealous mod

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit