JEHOVAH SAYS..."Please Pass the Tortillas!" Y MUCHO MAS~

by Smoldering Wick 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

It's old news that the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society has been trying to convert as many Spanish speaking people as possible. I remember how the Watchtower gradually added more and more Mexican people into their illustrations as the years went on. As this family in 1999 Awake photo.

"Please Pass the Tortillas"

http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/1999/12/8/article_01.htm

Today, there was an article in The Huntsville Times that said that the Watchtower offers an intensive four-month Spanish-learning program to teach witnesses to bring in Spanish Converts. Although as the person interviewed for the article stated "Our first goal is to teach rather than increase our membership." LOL yeah right. In the city I live in there are like 70 Spanish Halls and 2 English Halls. When we moved here in 1965 there was only one English Hall and no Spanish ones. I spent years studying with Hispanic People (many of them became baptised Witnesses..yikes!). They are very friendly, love socializing, and in our area...are very superstitious and predominately Catholic. Many of the newer generation do not even know what Catholics believe let alone attend church. Sad to say they are easy targets for JWs.

~wick (of the ¡QUE LÁSTIMA! class)

Jehovah's Witnesses are expanding ministry in Hispanic community

Monday, June 28, 2004
    By PAT NEWCOMB Times Staff Writer [email protected] http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/news/1088444743298340.xml

Alton Williams of Huntsville took a semester of Spanish in high school "many, many years ago." But when the Jehovah's Witnesses began offering Spanish lessons in 1998, Williams signed up.

"The Spanish population was just growing here in Huntsville," said Williams, a physics professor at Alabama A&M University and a Jehovah's Witnesses minister. At the time, the closest Hispanic congregation was in Fort Payne.

"They wanted to try to see if anyone would be willing to learn Spanish and try to study the Bible with the Spanish population here," he said.

Williams was one of the more than 5,500 Jehovah's Witnesses at the Von Braun Center this past weekend for the church's annual three-day district convention. A repeat of the convention will be held Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Using tapes, an English-Spanish dictionary and "field experience," Williams learned Spanish. "I feel like I'm pretty fluent," he said. "I feel like I can give a talk in Spanish as well as I can in English, and sometimes I feel like I can do it better in Spanish."

Williams was on the early end of the Jehovah's Witnesses' attempt to reach out to the Hispanic community. The church now offers an intensive four-month Spanish-learning program.

The number of Spanish-speaking Jehovah's Witnesses has grown significantly over the last several years. Williams said a Spanish version of the district convention is scheduled for late July in Duluth, Ga.

Locally, the Hispanic congregation has also grown. Six years ago, the Jehovah's Witnesses church here served the Spanish-speaking population in Huntsville and Athens. The congregation has now grown enough to add a church in Athens. About 60 to 70 Hispanics attend meetings at the Huntsville church on Winchester Road, Williams said.

Williams' ministry hasn't changed since he learned Spanish.

"Our main work is we study the Bible with people," he said. "We go to their house and set up a time when we can sit down for an hour and help them to learn the Bible."

While many Hispanics who move to this area are Catholic, Williams said he's found them to be "open-minded and willing to learn more about the Bible."

He said Witnesses respect other denominations. "Our first goal is to teach rather than increase our membership."

Williams has used his ability to speak Spanish during trips to Mexico and Spain. "Jehovah's Witnesses believe really in one worldwide organization that shouldn't be divided by languages or governments," he said.

The Huntsville convention is one of about 200 that will take place across the country over the next several months. This is the eighth year Huntsville has hosted the Jehovah's Witnesses delegates, who represent 50 congregations in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and southern Kentucky.

• HeyNow!
    HeyNow!

Being half Hispanic, I can see the Society feeding on them. The Catholic Church is empty, they are friendly people..and they are now the top minority group...dog di#kers in NYC....we are hispanic.. not pigs out to slaughter..

• Soledad
    Soledad

Since birth, I always attended a Spanish congregation. For a long time we were the only one in lower Westchester. Now, there are at least 5 that I know of, but it was a slow, gradual process. I'm certain that the only reason for the "phenomenal" growth in Spanish congregations is because of a) immigration and b) Hispanics have more kids. My old congregation was 60% children under 12. Many other witnesses from English congregations also have taken up Spanish so they can Witness to Hispanics, so now it's not uncommon to see many Witnesses in the streets with 2 sets of Watchtowers and Awakes, in each language.

This is why, like I've said earlier, that the WTS wont die anytime soon---their targets have changed now to non-English speaking people or recent immigrants. The big boom now in my area as I see it are the Chinese. I see many Witnesses now knocking on doors in Chinatown, and the ones knocking don't look Chinese!!

we are hispanic.. not pigs out to slaughter..

That's not how the WTS sees it, unfortunately. It's all fair game now.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Well here in Southern California the Spanish congregations were just exploding.

Oddly enough, my mother met one of my adopted sisters in field service. She was a young girl from Mexico who spoke zero English, living with relatives. My mother, who spoke only limited Spanish, had bible studies with her and taught her how to speak English using English and Spanish literature

• prgirl79
    prgirl79

You bring up a good point. I am hispanic, and the majority are Catholic, but with the population of hispanics growing at a fast rate and the fact that many are young this is a good population to recruit. You brainwash them nice and early!!!

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

El llame de Dios es Jehova!!!!!!!!!!

Gringos, stupidos.

LABD, of the so glad to be bilingual, class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit