Martial Arts

by open_mind 5 Replies latest jw friends

• open_mind
    open_mind

I somewhat understand the JW viewpoint of martial arts. I am curious if anyone else has any biblical viewpoints on this topic...all posts would be much appreciated.

• COMF
    COMF

"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."
    - Jesus

Luke 22:36

COMF

• DCs Ghost
    DCs Ghost

hey, OM,

This isn't biblical, but it's firsthand experience.

About a year after I left the Borg, i decided to take some arts because I had always been fascinated by the grace and skill required. From what i learned, the discipline was acquired by basic exercises and gained through repetition. it was also mental exercise, mostly dealing with control and respect. Or at least that was the way my instructor taught the class,

The philosophy was that if you couldn't pull back a punch or kick in time to not hurt the person you were sparring with, then you were obviously not in control of your action. And if you became abusive, and you were caught, she would step in and demonstrate why she was the one leading the class. At the time she was a third degree blackbelt. Quite graceful, I might add.

What it came down to was that the arts are not about violence, but rather self control, respect, discipline, and integrity, and dignity.

One of the things I remember reading during that time was that in some regions of Japan the practitioners were taught to heal before they were taught to hurt. The same various pressure points that are used in acupressure/puncture were the same nerve endings that were focused on during an attack. It was a two-fold process that essentially ingrained respect for life. If you couldn't heal it then you shouldn't hurt it.

There were many philosophies which i learned of, reading books during that time in my life, and it was an experience I would love to repeat given I found an instructor with similar ideologies, Meditation didn't hurt either, but that I picked up taking Yoga. If all else it's a great stress relief and does wonders for flexibility.

CHUCK

"New Way, What's this about a new way???"---Alex, Clockwork Orange

• BugEye
    BugEye

After drifting from the borg for a while, I began to take up various martial arts over a period of about 5 years. My first experience was with Aikido, Ki society, followed by Tai Kwon Do and finally the one that I am currently pursuing, Wing Chun Kung Fu.

I have found that although some of them do teach philosophies, that they are not actually a religion nor do they divide religious teaching. As Ghost said before me, what is taught is a discipline and a dare I say it gentler way of looking at the world.

Although there are dojos and whatnot that teach and encourage violence or agressive thought processes, the respected ones never do. If you are looking for on for yourself or your children and you are keen for them to have respect and discipline, a simple phone call can help you decide. If they use words like "the best system" or mention "street fighting" then you should probably hang up and try elsewhere.

For children, Tai Kwon Do is good, however you have to watch the high kicks because they have been known to cause back damage. Aikido is an excellent art and very gentle in its philosophy, however to become proficient takes many years longer than most other martial arts. Only Tai Chi takes longer to become a self defence form that I am aware of.

I can honestly say that learning a martial art properly and with the right tutors can only help your self image and improve your life. I have never heard of any detrimental effects from the philosophical views.

BugEye

• bj
    bj

Open Mind, in the booklet DEFENDING AND LEGALLY ESTABLISHING THE GOOD NEWS by Hayden C. Covington, you find the following points on Self-defense:

"The courts have held that Jehovah's Witnesses have the right to defend themselves when attacked by one who objects to their distribution of Bible literature."
    (p. 80, XXII, B)

"If forced to use self-defense, do so. (See The Watchtower, September 15, 1939.)"
    (p. 83, par. 1.)

The Universal Dictionary defines Martial art: "Any of several methods of fighting or self-defence, such as judo or karate, originated in the East." (p.946)

• open_mind
    open_mind

I would like to thank all of you for your insight on this topic. Right befor I started studying with the JW's I had done some research into martial arts, aspiring to join. Then I was told it was a bad idea, so I decided to wait a while. Now that I am free to make my own decision, I think I will do more research and most likely join one form or another.

Thank You All Again.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit