Prince Charles, Cameron and Obama on their way to Saudi

by Xanthippe 8 Replies latest social current

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    What do you think of royalty and premiers going to pay their respects at the death of Saudi's King Abdullah in light of the human rights abuses; public executions and people getting a hundred lashes for criticising Islam? A hundred lashes! Wouldn't that kill someone!?
  • prologos
    prologos

hopefully the new king will clear the deck with across the board clemency? 1000 lashes, criticising the Saudi rulers too? No shunning among the rulers of this world.  

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The lashes are done over several weeks.

He was an illiterate fool, very cruel too.

Humanity progresses consecutively with tombstones, keep em coming.....,

• cofty
    cofty

In the real world compromises must be made. Saudi is very important to the west despite all its faults.

Strategically and commercially we have to maintain good relationships with the Kingdom. As far as human rights are concerned, more good will done by quiet conversations behind closed doors than by public posturing.

It is a socially and morally backward society but it has to be handled with pragmatism.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Xanthippe - as prologos and S&R say, it's 1000 lashes, 50 per week, for Raif Badawi. He also has to pay a fine and complete a 10-year prison sentence in addition to the lashes. All for 'criticising Islam'. If you criticise Islam in UK, you just get called 'Islamophobic' and 'racist'  

As for Prince Charles, Cameron and Obama travelling to Saudi, it seems faintly ridiculous. Is Prince Charles still Head of the C of E? And he's travelling to a country where Christianity is banned?

I think cofty has it right: unfortunately we have to deal with KSA and more good will be done behind closed doors than by public postering.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

It's a thousand lashes plus prison is it? Oh God it's like something out of the Middle Ages.

Love Uni the Queen is the head of the Church of England.

Well yes we all need to put petrol in our cars but I'm all for public comment, debate and polemical journalism. Without it even men wouldn't have the vote in this country and the aristocracy would still be in charge as they were 100 years ago.

• gda
    gda
    no doubt there are more elites congregating. must be one of nirubian gods landing for a meeting of the days of noah
  • zeb
    zeb

Oil my friends oil..

With its ancient civilization that the Saudis can not see that Raif Badawi has suffered enough and his family for his indiscretions.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Oil my friends oil.. - Zeb

Indeed! 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit