Murphy's Law

by abersekie 5 Replies latest social family

• abersekie
    abersekie

Hello,

I have been an in the closet reader of this form for 3 months now. My husband posts and I vicariously live through his posts. I will not bore you with the details of how I became a jw's and how I left but right from the beginning, I wondered if you stopped going to meetings would the brainwashing stop or would it really be Satan sinking in. Anyhoo

In the three years of being a jw's I pushed my "worldly" family to plan family gatherings on days that were not holidays. So today, when I spoke with my aunt (not a jw's) she suggested that our family gatherings do not always have to be on a holiday. Well that would be great but now I do not care what day it is on, holiday or not. FOR THREE YEARS and then now.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

• jgnat
    jgnat

It is wonderful that your ordinary family (non-JW) are willing to be so accommodating. They must love you very much. Maybe it is time to come clean with your ordinary family and tell them you have had a change of heart. You might start by buying some attractive thank-you cards and writing some personal thoughts about how each of them are special to you.

My bet is, they will be overjoyed.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

that's why it's good to research something before u jump in. research according to the watchtower is different than the real world's view of research. and that's what screws so many people up. if i ever have a question that i can ask my mother who is still a witness, she'll tell me to research it. heaven forbit i even suggest anything that's not a watchtower publication. even if it's the bible. i can find anything i need in those publications and even though i can find two completely different answer in two watchtowers that are only a couple of years apart, my mother will just tell me that the newer one is the correct one. yes... newer truth is always truer truth!

NYB

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

welcome both aberseke and NYbm! welcome to the board.

Joy

• franklin J
    franklin J

welcome to the forum,

You are fortunate to have such a supportive family

• Sassy
    Sassy

Welcome to JWD abersekie. We're glad you have been enjoying reading here and even happier to have you join us!

I only left being a JW this past year, so I know I still deal with some of the brainwashing. It takes time. But you will get there. Concerning holidays and when they are, if you have a regular NON JW calendar, most will print the holidays on them. That might help you at least know when they are.. but it is nice that you can get back together with your non JW family whether you are doing a holiday thing or not.. family is family and we need them..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit