ANOTHER IN OUR COMUNITY HAS DEVELOPED CANCER

by outoftheorg 7 Replies latest jw friends

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

MY WIFE AND I GO TO A SMALL OLD TOWN, NOW AND AGAIN TO HAVE A NICE MEAL AT A CAFE THERE. ON OCCASION WE WILL HAVE A BEER OR TWO OR SOME WINE AT THE BAR.

USED TO BE A RAILROAD TOWN AND HAS NOW ONLY AROUND 200 RESIDENTS. A FEW 100 YR OLD BUILDINGS ON THE MAIN STREET AND ONE BUILDING HOUSES THIS CAFE AND A SMALL BAR OR SALOON WHERE BEER-WINE & HARD LIQUOR IS SERVED.

IT WAS AT THIS BAR THAT I READ A LETTER POSTED ON THE DOOR. IT STATED THAT THERE WAS "ANOTHER IN OUR COMUNITY THAT HAS DEVELOPED CANCER". THIS LETTER ENCOURAGED EVERYONE TO CONTRIBUTE WHAT THEY COULD TO HELP THIS INDIVIDUAL AND THEIR FAMILY DURING THIS TRYING TIME. THIS REMINDED ME, THAT I HAD SEEN EFFORTS SIMILAR TO THIS TAKING PLACE IN MANY SALOONS.

MY WIFE AND HER DECEASED HUSBAND AT ONE TIME OWNED A SALOON AND SHE TELLS ME THAT THIS WAS DONE OFTEN, IN THEIR SALOON.

NOW THIS BAR IS LIKE ALL THE OTHERS. THERE ARE MANY CUSTOMERS, THAT COVER THE ENTIRE STRATUM OF HUMANITY. THE CASUAL DRINKER, THE DRUNK, WOMEN. MEN, EDUCATED, UNEDUCATED. YOU NAME IT, THEY CAN BE FOUND IN BARS AND SALOONS.

THESE BARS AND THEIR CUSTOMERS ARE LOOKED DOWN ON BY MANY GROUPS, INCLUDING THE WBTS.

TO BE A REGULAR CUSTOMER IN A SALOON CAN RESULT IN BEING DF'D OR MARKED BY THE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES.

I CAN NOT RECALL A SINGLE INSTANCE, WHERE ANY ORGANIZED EFFORT TO HELP AN ILL PERSON WAS POSTED ON ANY KINGDOM HALL BOARD. OR ANY ORGANIZED EFFORT INVOLVING THE ORGANIZATION.

THE BEST I CAN RECALL, IS A ONE TIME MENTION FROM THE PODIUM, THAT SOME ONE WAS ILL.

IF A COMPARISON IS MADE, THOSE THAT ARE REGULAR AT THE SALOON/BAR AND THIS INCLUDES MANY PERSONS LOOKED DOWN ON BY THE WBTS ARE MORE LOVING, HELPFUL, MORE AWARE OF THE NEEDS OF STRANGERS AS WELL AS FRIENDS THAN THE WBTS OR JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ARE.

THIS DESTROYS THE WBTS CLAIM OF JW'S BEING A LOVING, CARING GROUP FROM WHICH ONE CAN FIND A "SWEET RELATION AMONG THE BROTHERS"

WHAT AN EYE OPENER!

Outoftheorg

• Navigator
    Navigator

Don't you understand Outof theOrg? Resources donated to help those cancer victims would mean less for the WTS. This "loving and caring" only goes so far. Helping out would mean less time for field service. Besides, the fact that they are having a hard time must mean that Jehovah is punishing them for not logging enough hours last year.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Thank you for your post. I know this to be true as well, and used to wonder why JW's don't "really" help their own and others to any large extent. Many needy in our congregation were overlooked. The word was that if you had enough faith in Jehovah, all your needs would be met. I'm not saying that their wasn't anyone who acting in the true spirit of love and compassion, but it was the general concensus that everyone just took care of themselves.

We did have several who provided us with transportation to and from meetings for a number of years. My mother would and save pennies out of the weekly grocery funds just to make certain she offered them some gas money. But as far as making announcements, or visiting, or just being there for someone who was really down and out, it just didn't seem to be happening that much. There was very little true intimacy.

If you couldn't handle your own problems (which they just judged as being things you brought upon yourself) then they saw you as a weak person.

/<

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Yes Sentinel, I find it to be ironic, that the very people that the wbts-jw's look down on and condemn actually are more aware of the needs of their friends and neighbors and even those they do not know .

Then being aware, actually work together to provide help for that person. It is the good sameratin (sp ?)all over again.

Outoftheorg

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Outoftheorg,

When I was growing up (as a JW), I remember my mom doing things - what she could - to help those in need (in the congregation, of course).

I suppose some of it rubbed off on me... when I quit being a JW - the JW wifey told me of a family (some baptized - others studying) in need.

When we would go shopping together - we weren't wealthy, but I would ask the wife "Can we afford an extra sack of potatoes?" (or some other food items) She would check the bank account... and usually, we could (barely).

We would then deliver these goods to this family.

This went on for a few months - the family was grateful, and expressed their gratitude to the wife.

Then one day, the wifey came home from one of her 'meetings', and informed me that we couldn't do this anymore, as the mother had slacked off on her attendance to the meetings, etc. (I think that they were told something at one of the meetings.)

*shaking head*

They just don't get it.

Regards,

Jim_TX (who is no longer married to that lady)

• shamus
    shamus

Yes, they lack true love on every level imaginable. Your story does not suprise me one bit, Bigtx. I have seen many many times people go needy in our congregation because of this "agape" "christian" love.

It is just horrific how they treat the weak in they're midst. If you found yourself in trouble, the last place you would want to go for help is the congregation.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    IF A COMPARISON IS MADE, THOSE THAT ARE REGULAR AT THE SALOON/BAR AND THIS INCLUDES MANY PERSONS LOOKED DOWN ON BY THE WBTS ARE MORE LOVING, HELPFUL, MORE AWARE OF THE NEEDS OF STRANGERS AS WELL AS FRIENDS THAN THE WBTS OR JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ARE.

Some congs I went to helped the sick. The last one I went to did not. They ended up pushing those of us, who tried to organize a way to help sick ones and their families, out of the hall.

I think that many of the JWs have a warped work ethic. If you impress them with all kinds of JW works. If you really dazzle them. Then you might be worthy of their help. If you stay sick too long, and then cannot dazzle them any longer, then you will slip into the deadbeat category. Deadbeats shouldn't be helped. I know plenty of good people who are still deadbeats by JW standards.

Flyin'

• freedom96
    freedom96

There are many, many good people that are not witnesses that help one another in hard times. The idea that some witnesses have that they are the only ones who help others is just wrong.

But no one knows it, for you are forbidden to have contact with these other people. After all, they are worldly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit