The moral of the story of adam and eve and witness kids

by Sirius Dogma 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sirius Dogma
    Sirius Dogma

We all know the story of adam and eve - god forbids fruit, man and women eat fruit.

What is the real moral of this story? Tradition teaches that man is sinful by nature and must be punished.

I was thinking the moral could also be this "That which is forbidden, is made desirable."

I don't know if that is sin, when you tell someone they can't have something, it almost naturally makes us at least curious as to why that is. Some act on this others don't. And maybe it is just my own personality.

It reminded me of being a witness kid and the analogy of "a kid in the candy store", but we were forbidden to eat the candy. The "candy" could have been almost anything, since we were forbidden of so much, holidays, friends outside of the kh, sports, college, dating, and of course sex drugs and rock n roll.

My point is, ancient stories often have morals, could this have been a story meant to teach that forbidden things is a bad idea and it got twisted into the opposite. Just my ponderings

• gumby
    gumby

All I know is this. If I had been satan and that little sweet thing Eve was wandering around naked while Adam was naming various animals.....I woulda proly started up a conversation with her also. The only thing I would have done different would be to have showed her my snake instead of turning into one. Satan was a damn idiot!

Gumby

• bisous
    bisous

well, anything's better than along came a talking snake, turned a chick out by making her eat forbidden fruit and of course leading her man astray.... and thus the downfall of all future civilization.

• sonofapreacherman
    sonofapreacherman

The simple rule of JW biblical doctrine is: take everything figurative literally, and everything literal figuratively.

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

the moral

• gumby
    gumby

Looks like eve ate too many chocolate covered apples. Poor ol' Adam makin peter tracks.

Gumby

• kes152
    kes152

To sirius

you said: "What is the real moral of this story? Tradition teaches that man is sinful by nature and must be punished."

Tradition does teach that, however, that is not the truth. The 'truth' is, God created man in his own image and according to his likeness. He gave them of every tree to eat from, including the tree of life. They were not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, because that tree would KILL them. He was protecting them from all the dangers that was in their domain, and there was only one. The tree was put there for a purpose, to bring death to those who did not wish to live forever. He did not want Adam and Eve to eat from that tree because eating from that tree would bring them death. He knew they did not want death, so he told them NOT to eat from that tree so that they would not die. They understood this.

• Sabine
    Sabine

One thing I learned when I took an ancient history class in college was that the Adam and Eve "story" isn't original to the bible...it's an old Persian myth, and predates the Bible. Adam, Eve, snake, fruit all of it!!! Then we studied Sumarian culture and read the epic of Gilgamish...the flood story word for word...also predates the Bible...

These are ancient myths and not original to God's only inspiried book.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

The REAL moral of the story? It's explains human's bizarre aversions. Why we're afraid of snakes (it's been proven that snakes are almost an archetypal symbol, all/most societies have fear/aversion to them).

Why women must endure such pain during childbirth (woman was the first deceived).

We we now have hangups about are bodies and nudity (boths A&E suddenly were ashamed of their naked state).

Why life is so hard (Adam now had to eke out a living by the sweat of his brow).

Why men dominate women (NWT, "your craving will be for your husband and he will dominate you).

Why women cannot be trusted (it was Eve who was deceived and talked Adam into taking a bite).

Basically, the story/moral of Adam an Eve is to explain how and why life basically bites. Why women are inferior. Why life is so hard. It's not a factual story; it is nothing more than a "por quoi" tale, a myth. No different from any other myth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit