The "left wing"/"right wing&quot...

by comment 3 Replies latest jw friends

• comment
    comment

As a ministerial servant in the 1990's, I was sometimes bemused by the differences in the way the message and teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses were presented in public and private settings.

Let me illustrate.

During this period, talks from the public platform seemed to focus a lot on social issues, the environment, health and so on. Our position was stated as "nicely" as possible: "Look at all these terrible problems in the world, which are unsolvable because human governments and businesses will never change The System! How good it is to know that Jehovah God will soon fix the problems through his Kingdom government!"

While these sentiments may not have been "left wing" per se, they almost gave the organization the appearance of being humanitarian. There was so much emphasis on "education" and presenting the message in an appealing way.

But then, you had meetings for the ministerial servants and elders in private, and the tone was different.

I remember having a meeting with various brothers prior to one district convention. It was to discuss the running of the sound department. We opened with a prayer in which the brother said something almost to the effect of "bless our microphones." Then he read a verse from Revelation which had something to do with hearing. And this was just supposed to be an administrative/organizational meeting. I always liked to think of the brothers as being different from your "typical frothing fundamentalists"--more sensible and rational--but here I had this weird feeling of having stumbled into Uncle Bob's Prayer Hour.

Much more of a "right wing" feel.

Or as others have alluded to, all the fussing that went on behind the scenes when preparing for assembly demonstration parts. Wear the right kind of suit! Brothers, get that hair cut! Sisters, no short skirts! Etc. etc.

In the last few years, I think the publications have swung more "to the right" again (i.e. like the 50's and 60's) than they were in the early 1990's.

It almost seems to dovetail with the shifts in the political climate in the Western world.

I was disappointed ultimately to realize that the Witnesses had a lot more in common with the "Bible-thumping loonies" of the "churches of Christendom" than I had liked to believe.

Thoughts?

comment

• Amazing
    Amazing

The JWs have a lot in common with fundies, in spirit, not necessarily in doctrine. The WTS use of social issues has never been because they are left-wing or right-wing, but they use what is available to promote their agenda.

If times are troublesome, and war breaks out, they use this to show that the last days are nearing their end. If times get better, peaceful, and good economics, then they tout peace and security as a signal that the last days are nearing their end. The WTS are opportunists al la grande!

They could teach tomorrow that the Trinity is true, that blood and birthdays are okay, and still come out smelling like a rose because they love to sway and swing the masses whom they control to their delight. It is a fantasy religion built upon the whims of whomever is in power. It is likewise a disfunctional religion in denial of its own serious ills. And for very breif periods realty catches up to their fantasies and some JWs are able to see this and leave. Then, the WTS reinvents their religion, gets new light, and off and away they go with new fantasies. They have a wonderful 125 year history to prove that this is the case. - Amazing

• Cautious
    Cautious

I agree with Amazing, the WTS do use a populist approach to draw in more followers. They have a wonderful ability to slide to any point of the political/social spectrum which will gain them more converts at that particular point in time.

If times are troublesome, and war breaks out, they use this to show that the last days are nearing their end. If times get better, peaceful, and good economics, then they tout peace and security as a signal that the last days are nearing their end. The WTS are opportunists al la grande!
    This was one that always puzzled me during my time in the org. I guess it is just another display of being able to span the spectrum and get the same answer wherever you are.

Just like with politicians, so much of it is just semantics, as far as I can see.

Cautious

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day comment,

I see the Public Talks more as a strategy than a political persuasion. The opening 5 to 10 minutes of most Public Talk outlines are devoted to highlighting how bad the world conditions are. What follows is the remedy. This fits in nicely with the publications copiously illustrated with those pictures of paradise. I read in a book that the Witnesses are promoting spiritual materialism. Seems very apt.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit