Argh!!!! An observation...

by astridkittie 3 Replies latest jw friends

• astridkittie
    astridkittie

I was trying to find an article on the WBTS website about Jesus' death that would give some history references about the stake issue... after a while I got rather frustrated when I was coming up empty handed. Then the realization dawned upon me that it seems that the publications for the public never seem to have any research article references... just scriptural ones, and then when an interested one "progresses", they start gaining access to the "deeper" publications with research references... of course, you're only supposed to refer to the references they give you most of the time, lol. I may be wrong since I grew up in the organization and didn't get to experience coming in on my own, but it feels uncannily true, and it makes sense for them, toss them a scripture to make them feel like they've discovered a wonderful new point of view and then throw in some "worldly" references to hammer it in that it's the truth! A fact!

Anyone else notice this trend? It would also be helpful if someone could toss me one of their history references that says that criminals were traditionally crucified on stakes during the Roman Empire... somehow I remember them having at least one... I could be mistaken though.

Omg, it felt so wierd to see a picture of him nailed to a stake again too... brought back alot of old memories and feelings at once... oddly enough, my first reaction was that of wanting to run. Not run from Jesus, lol, just... it wasn't him in that picture somehow. It was like looking at a picture of a demon and then that demon trying to reach out and grab you. Your first reaction to a demon trying to grab you? Run. That's one really good lesson I learned, lol. ;)

• ball.
    ball.

Do you think it really mattered to Jesus what he was hung on?

• astridkittie
    astridkittie

LOL! No not really but it still would be nice to know where the stake doctrine came from.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

It's not like you get much research references once you're "in", either. The only books I can think of that have references are the Reasoning book, the All Scripture book, and (occasionally) the Insight book. Of course, the references are usually to 19th-century publications, since modern scholarship hardly ever supports the Witnesses' positions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit