Jesus quoted from non-Biblical source?

by gaiagirl 4 Replies latest jw friends

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

At 2 Timothy 3:16, the writer claims that 'All scripture is inspired by God'....While at John 7:38, Jesus is quoted as saying ....'Just as the Scripture has said "Out from his inmost part streams of living water will flow"'. Exactly what book is Jesus here quoting? Is there a verse in the Bible which actually said this, and which had already been written when Jesus was alive? Or was he quoting from a document which was later excluded from the Bible canon? Can documents other than those contained in the Bible be considered 'Scripture'?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Gaiagirl,

Some previous discussion on http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/66015/1.ashx

• dustyb
    dustyb

personally, the modern bible of today i don't think is a full scripture. i think there are still tablets lost and nobody really knows where they're at. but hey, what do i know, its just what i think.

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

Jesus quote in John 7:38: "He who believes in Me, (1) as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of (2) living water.'" was referring to these sources in the book of Isaiah:

Isaiah 44:3 :: New American Standard Bible (NASB) Isaiah 44:3
    'For (1) I will pour out water on the thirsty land
    And streams on the dry ground;
    I will (2) pour out My Spirit on your (3) offspring
    And My blessing on your descendants;
    Isaiah 55:1 :: New American Standard Bible (NASB) Isaiah 55:1
    "Ho! Every one who (1) thirsts, come to the waters;
    And you who have (2) no money come, buy and eat.
    Come, buy (3) wine and milk
    (4) Without money and without cost.
    Isaiah 58:11 :: New American Standard Bible (NASB) Isaiah 58:11
    "And the (1) LORD will continually guide you,
    And (2) satisfy your desire in scorched places,
    And (3) give strength to your bones;
    And you will be like a (4) watered garden,
    And like a (5) spring of water whose waters do not fail.
  • Mary
    Mary
    Or was he quoting from a document which was later excluded from the Bible canon? Can documents other than those contained in the Bible be considered 'Scripture'?

There were many other books that were not included in the canon for one reason or another. There's one called The Infancy Gospel of Thomas that portrays Jesus as a rotten child who kills anyone who pisses him off. It was written over 200 years after his time though, so there was no credibility to it at all but still disturbing to read. http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/bible/noncanon.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit