Do other religions use the name Jehovah?

by JH 20 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

When people hear the name Jehovah, they automatically think Jehovah Witnesses. I know that in old Catholic bibles, the word Jehovah might be found or Jahweh.

Is it the JW's who came out with that name first or did other religions use it before the JW's?

• jgnat
    jgnat

It is a JW urban legend that they came up with the name of God. I correct my honey regularly. There are several songs we sing in church, for instance, that incorporate Jehovah's name. "Jehovah Jireh.." comes to mind right away.

Interesting article:

http://jamaat.net/name/name3.html

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No - it is NOT unique to JWs -- other small religions do use it -- an Old Hymn from Great Britain (Wales) at one time used it as part of their national anthem - -Guide Me Oh Thou Great Jehovah - Pilgrim Through This Barren Land , I am weak but thou art mighty, hold me with thy pwoerful hand ---

anyway -- after ( many years in the sixties I think ) JWs adopted the name - -the Hymn title was changed to Guide Me oh thou Great Redeemer

• aunthill
    aunthill

I have heard the name Jehovah used a couple of times in the two years I have been attending my non-denominational Christian church. In the charismatic church I attended before, for about 3 years, I also heard the name used on several occasions.

It still jolts me to hear someone in church use the name Jehovah.

I remember seeing a movie, when I was a little girl, and the captain of the ship calling on the "great god, Jehovah!" (maybe it was Moby Dick? I haven't seen the movie or read the book in eons) So I think that the name was used occasionally in Protestant churches, after the Reformation.

Aunthill

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl
    Guide Me Oh Thou Great Jehovah - Pilgrim Through This Barren Land , I am weak but thou art mighty, hold me with thy pwoerful hand ---

It is still called "Guide Me Oh Thou Great Jehovah" in the Methodist Church. We sing it all the time.

• shotgun
    shotgun

The 1901 American Standard Bible translation used the Name Jehovah close to 7000 times, so anyone using that bible would have used the name. The reason the Bible students and later JW's didn't use that version was it's wording and dates in a few verses did not agree with the Earthly paradise and 6000 yrs of creation ending in 1874 as did the KJV.

• Joker10
    Joker10

I've read the name Jehovah in Catholic bibles myself. If you tune to a Relgion TV station you will hear the name Jehovah once in a while. At least this is the case in L.A.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The pronunciations "Jehovah" and "Yahweh"

By combining the vowel signs of 'Adho ?n ay' and 'Elo ? him' with the four consonants of the Tetragrammaton the pronunciations Yeho ?wah' and Yeho wih' were formed . The first of these provided the basis for the Latinized form "Jehova (h) ." The first recorded use of this form dates from the thirteenth century C .E . Raymundus Martini, a Spanish monk of the Dominican Order, used it in his book Pugeo Fidei of the year 1270 .

- Aid To Bible Understanding, 1971, article: "Jehovah"

• heathen
    heathen

I have heard televangelists use the name to mean God almighty before but I think the name has become primarily associated with the jehovah witnesses . I know it was in the original translation of the king james bible in 4 places , Exodus 6:3 being the main one I can remember .

• DebraDoll
    DebraDoll

According to my Mom when I have shown her IN PRINT, that other religions (INCLUDING some darker, Chaotic-Magic incantations!! oooooooo!!!!) are "Praising" J...; "Those people are MIS-using Jehovah's name!" BWAHAHAHAHAHA! How outrageous is that one???!!! Please be assured that HIS name is reserved esclusively for HIS people! (Oh-and of course the awesome band "Jehovah's WAITRESSES!")

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit