Concept of the future

by OrangeBlossom 3 Replies latest jw friends

• OrangeBlossom
    OrangeBlossom

Growing up in the borg, planning for the future was never thought of for me or my family. For instance, I heard things like,
    "you'll never go to school"
    "armageddon is right around the corner"
    "you'll never graduate"
    "you'll never get married"
    "you'll never have children"
    "your children will never go to school"
    etc, etc, etc.

Now that my whole concept of life has changed and here I sit in my 40's with no retirement plan, because I wasn't suppose to need one, it really pisses me off. I still find it hard to think about 10 years down the road. We're are trying to think about retirement now, and put some money away, investments, etc.

Does anyone else have a problem with the concept of armageddon not coming next year?

• joelbear
    joelbear

Hi Orange,

Its never too late to start planning. Get a good financial advisor. Join your 401K now and start putting the maximim allowed.

I stopped believing the end was near when I was a junior in high school. But, I was so attached to family and friends that I didn't do a good job of planning a career or a life for myself.

I am still stuck in a career that I hate but I am doing something about it, better late than never.

Console yourself to the past, its gone. The future on the otherhand is limitless in its opportunities.

hugs

Joel

• Prisca
    Prisca

OrangeBlossom,

I grew up with the same thing, not saving for the future, not thinking I would pass the age of 30, thinking that Armageddon was "just around the corner" (how many corners have we passed since that term was applied to "the end"?)

As a result, I have rented all my adult life, believing that there was no need to save for a house. I didn't bother putting away for my retirement - thank goodness for the Aust govt making it law for employers to contribute 8% of our earnings towards our superannuation (what you americans call 401K)!

So although I am 10 yrs younger, I still have to start from scratch and work out how to create some financial security for myself.

For all JWs reading this :

Don't let this happen to you! Save for that deposit. Buy that home you have been thinking about. Find a financial planner to organise for your future security. Don't put off marriage/children if you have the chance. Live your life and enjoy it!

• thinker
    thinker

What really riles me is the "true believers" who, on the one hand profess to believe all the "armageddon is right around the corner" crap; yet continue to plan for a secure retirement. My wife's parents fall into this category and they see no hipocracy in it whatsoever!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit