Does anybody here have the 1982 edition of You Can Live Forever?

by Robert_V_Frazier 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Robert_V_Frazier
    Robert_V_Frazier

I'd like to get the complete text of page 179, where it used to say that the people of Sodom and Gomorrah would be resurrected, but in the 1989 edition, they changed their minds and said that these people would not be. If possible, I'd like to see the paragraph before the change, the paragraph after, and all the text that is different. I've found this much on the internet:

You Can Live Forever In Paradise On Earth, 1982, First ed., p. 179, paragraph 9

By saying this, Jesus showed that at least some of the unrighteous people of ancient Sodom and Gomorrah will be present on earth during Judgment Day. Although they had been very immoral, we can expect that some of them will be resurrected. (Genesis 19:1-26)

You Can Live Forever In Paradise On Earth, 1989 ed., p. 179, paragraph 9

It will truly be a grand privilege to be resurrected on earth during Jehovah's great Judgment Day. However, the Bible indicates that it will be a privilege that not all will enjoy. Consider, for example, the people of ancient Sodom. The Bible says that the men of Sodom sought to have sexual relations with 'the men' who were visiting Lot. Their immoral behavior was so extreme that even when they were miraculously struck with blindness, 'they were wearing themselves out trying to find the entrance' of the house to get inside to have intercourse with Lot's visitors (Gen. 19:4-11). Will such terribly wicked persons be resurrected during Judgment Day? The Scriptures indicate that apparently they will not. Yes, for their excessive immorality the people of Sodom and of the surrounding cities suffered a destruction from which they will apparently never be resurrected. -- 2 Peter 2:4-6, 9, 10a.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Robert V Frazier

• JH
    JH

I have the french version. I remember then, that they would be ressurected, and then they wouldn't. New light they called it....

• JH
    JH

Here are a few lines in french and I will translate in english:

Par ces paroles, Jésus montra que des habitants injustes de Sodome et de Gomorrhe seront sur terre au jour du jugement. Certes, c'étaient des gens foncièrement immoraux, mais on peut s'attendre à ce que certains d'entre eux ressuscitent ( Genese 19:1-26).

If I translate:

By these words, Jesus shows that the unjust habitants of Sodom and Gomorah will be on earth on judgement day. They were immoral, but we can expect that some of them will resurrect. ( Genesis 19:1-26)

• Sassy
    Sassy

I probably have it. I have all my literature in boxes out in storage yet........I had posted in December about if it was worth holding on to them and most said yes......if nothing else to sell... I just haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet.

I'll try to go out in the storage during daylight tomorrow to see what year is my copy. I am sure it is the original assembly release.

are you just trying to find out of what you have above is accurate??

• jgnat
    jgnat

You can live forever in Paradise on Earth (c) 1982

p. 178

8 Will it be more difficult for some of the resurrected dead to learn and practice righteousness that it will be for others? When Jesus Christ was on earth, he showed that it would be. Most of the persons to whom he and his disciples preached ..

p. 179

..did not listen. They rejected Jesus as the Messiah, even after hearing his preaching and seeing him perform miracles. When sending out his disciples to preach, Jesus said of a city that would reject their message: ?Truly I say to you, it will be more endurable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on Judgement Day than for that city.? - Matthew 10:15.

9 By saying this, Jesus showed that least some of the unrighteous people of ancient Sodom and Gomorrah will be present on earth during Judgement Day. Although they had been very immoral, we can expect that some of them will be resurrected. (Genesis 19:1-26) Jehovah in his mercy will bring them back so that they will have an opportunity to learn about his purposes. But Jesus? words also show that some of the unrighteous ones to whom he and his disciples personally preached will be present during Judgement Day. They, too, will be resurrected and be given further opportunity to learn God?s purposes. For whom will it be more difficult to accept Christ as king at that time? For the people of ancient Sodom or for those who had rejected the preaching of Jesus and his disciples?

10 It will be more difficult for those who personally rejected Jesus. Speaking of Capernaum, one of the cities where he performed miracles, Jesus said, ?If the powerful works that took place in you had taken place in Sodom, it would have remained until this very day. Consequently I say to you people, It will be more endurable for the land of Sodom on Judgement day than for you.? (Matthew 11:22-24) Yes, during Judgement Day it will be even more difficult for those from Capernaum to admit their mistakes and to accept and serve Christ as king than it will be for the people of ancient Sodom to learn righteousness.

11 So it will be easier for certain ?unrighteous? resurrected ones to learn about God and serve him than it will be for other ?unrighteous? ones. (Matthew 12:41, 42) What, then, about the ?righteous? who are resurrected - persons such as Abraham, ..

p. 180

Isaac, Job, Deborah, Ruth, Daniel and others? Before their death they all looked forward to the coming of the Messiah. Who glad they will be during Judgement Day to learn about him, and that he is ruling in heaven! So it will be much easier for these ?righteous? persons to practice righteousness at that time than for any of the ?unrighteous? to do so. - Acts 24:15

• Robert_V_Frazier
    Robert_V_Frazier

Thanks, jgnat. That's just what I was looking for!

Sassy, I know the quotes I found were accurate, but I'm in a discussion with a JW on another board, and he's not even aware the Society changed its mind and changed the text of the Live Forever book accordingly. I wanted to document it for him.

Not under any delusions that he will accept it even so, but now if he ever comes across a 1982 copy, he'll remember I told him beforehand.

Robert V Frazier

• Will Power
    Will Power

Here is something interesting from the blue cover "Aid" book Copyright 1971, 1,000,000 copies printed.

Sodom pg 1519

Sodom and Gomorrah were everlastingly destroyed as cities, but this would not preclude a resurrection for people of those cities. emphasis as printed in the book.

Gomorrah pg 679

....Gomorrah to ashes God condemned them, "setting a pattern for ungodly persons of things tom come." (2 Pet 2:6).....Though the cities underwent "the judicial punishment of everlasting fire" (jude 7), Jesus indicated that people of Sodom and Gomorrah would experience a resurrection to stand for judgment... emphasis as printed in the book.

The Bible says that the men of Sodom sought to have sexual relations with 'the men' who were visiting Lot. Their immoral behavior was so extreme that even when they were miraculously struck with blindness, 'they were wearing themselves out trying to find the entrance' of the house to get inside to have intercourse with Lot's visitors (Gen. 19:4-11). Will such terribly wicked persons be resurrected during Judgment Day? The Scriptures indicate that apparently they will not.

Doesn't the bible say the only unforgivable sin is blashpheming the Holy Spirit?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit