Firpo Carr on the Governing Body and the Black Muslims

by Dogpatch 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Was There A Secret Black Man On The Governing Body?

Review Of "A History Of Jehovah's Witnesses: From A Black American Perspective"

by Randall Watters

Here is one book that is written from a unique perspective. It is entitled, A History of Jehovah's Witnesses: From a Black American Perspective by Firpo Carr, Ph.D. (Scholar Technological Institute of Research, Inc., 1992). The author is a black JW from South Central Los Angeles who claims to have a Ph.D. and is a full-time pioneer. His parents say he was a child prodigy. Carr says he is completing his doctoral work in theology, but does not say where (the Watchtower forbids a Witness to study at formal theological schools. It also unofficially forbids the writing of a book like this!). Carr attempts to document similarities between the Black Muslim movement and the Watchtower movement. He argues that Wallace D. Fard, founder of the Black Muslims, was influenced by the teachings of J.F. Rutherford, second president of the Watchtower Society. He quotes the book Elijah Muhammad: Religious Leader by Malu Halasa: "Though Fard may have embellished or exaggerated the details of his life, the origins of his teachings were not quite so mysterious. The Nation [of Islam] drew its principles not only from the Koran but also from the Bible, books about Freemasonry, and the philosophy of Joseph F. ('Judge :) Rutherford, leader of Jehovah 's Witnesses." (Emphasis added by Carr) Yet Carr remains unconvincing in drawing parallels between the Watchtower and the Nation of Islam. Aside from the strict monotheism of both religions as well as their revolt against the churches of Christendom, there appear to be few similarities. So what's the point? Carr begs the question. Interestingly, Carr does quote a few of the passages from The Watch Tower in C.T. Russell's time regarding the ridiculous views of the black man they held, such as how the black man would slowly turn white (sound like the Mormons, anyone?) After quoting a number of these and attempting to excuse Russell's ignorance, he says:

Shamefully, critics have misquoted this passage from the Society's literature in an attempt to misinform people, particularly blacks, who are interested in the teachings of the Bible as understood by the Witnesses. (See "Blacks and the Watchtower," Bethel Ministries Newsletter, July/August 1988, page 1, column 3, pp. 1 & 2.) The only shame belongs on the organization who would print such racist nonsense in the first place! The claim of "misquoting" by Carr does not stand up, nor does he demonstrate how my article is a misquote. Carr attempts to answer why there have been no blacks on the Watchtower's prestigious Governing Body, yet does not answer the question. His most astounding claim is that there WAS a black man on the Governing Body?William K. Jackson! Picking myself up off the floor, I wondered how he came to this conclusion, having known Bill Jackson from my six years at Bethel (1974-1980) and he was as white as a sheet with no black features whatsoever. Carr's only defense was that Bill Jackson "openly stated that he was black." That is news to all of us who worked at Bethel. Perhaps Carr needs a second book to correct the incredible fantasies in his first one, if the Watchtower doesn't disfellowship him first. -Editor.

from http://www.freeminds.org/african/firpocar.htm

Randy

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Interesting Randy -- thankyou

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Randy,

This is great!

That is news to all of us who worked at Bethel. Perhaps Carr needs a second book to correct the incredible fantasies in his first one, if the Watchtower doesn't disfellowship him first. -Editor.

I wonder if Firpo know about the young new Sam Hard, who I understand is black. It is fascinating to watch Firpo on TV regarding the Michael Jackson case. Thanks for the great post. - Jim W.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Randy I read with deep interest the portion of Blacks and the WatchTower.

I was appauled and at the same time enlightened to the fact of How Blacks have been or rather not been treated in the WTS Organization. I can't believe how terribly narrowminded and backward Russell was when it came to the Blacks. Then it still filtered down to the days of Rutherford. And also in was it 1952 or 54, that still a level of prejudice existed. The part where the Society never translated the "Bible Aid to Understanding" into the hispainic language. God how disgusting and utterly amazed am I by this. It leaves me in a state of shock.

I really never took note that the Governing Body is made up of White men. I wonder how many a JW would find this to be absoultely unbelievable. About their feelings towards Blacks and Hispanics.

I at this point feel utterly ashamed that I was ever a Jehovah's witness. The proffessed Organization that exudes love to all colours and ethnic groups. I would be embarrased to even tell anyone that I was ever a JW.

Thank you so much Randy for sharing this with us. I do have a question though. How is it that you were able to find the Watchtowers mentioned. They are not in cirulation, so does someone reproduce them and If so would you please let me know.

You can contact me at [email protected]

Eagerly awaiting your response

Orangefatcat aka Terry Dranitsaris.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

As I say Randy, I suspect when the cheques of his latest 'client' clear, we will be assailed by a bestselling book expounding the inside story of how he saved a musical empire by sheer intellectual power. This man will be a seriously rich semi-Jehovah's Witness in a few months.

HS

• Draconian
    Draconian

Where does he get a name like "Firpo". Was he the fifth Marx Brother after Harpo, Chico, Groucho, and Gummo?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit