This is a no brainer

by oncebitten 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oncebitten
    oncebitten

The insertion of Jehovah into the NT is only understandable to me if there was an OT quote. However by far the vast majority of the time this is not the case. Instead we see clear bias in the NWT. Here is just one example:

First a simple question- Did Jesus know their hearts?

Here are a few verses that tell us the answer.

Mark 2:8 Immediately Jesus, aware in His spirit that they were reasoning that way within themselves, *said to them, “Why are you reasoning about these things in your hearts?

Luke 6:8 But He knew what they were thinking, and He said to the man with the withered hand, “Get up and come forward!” And he got up and came forward.

John 2:24-25 But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men, and had no need that anyone should testify of man, for He knew what was in man.

There are others, but I think that's enough. Hopefully, we agree that's a yes, Jesus knows man's heart.

Next question. Who chose the apostles? It's not a hard one so Hopefully we agree it was the Lord Jesus.

That takes me to Acts 1:21-26

Therefore it is necessary that of the men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us— 22 beginning with the baptism of John until the day that He was taken up from us—one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection.” 23 So they put forward two men, Joseph called Barsabbas (who was also called Justus), and Matthias. 24 And they prayed and said, “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two You have chosen 25 to occupy this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.” 26 And they drew lots for them, and the lot fell to Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles.

Who did the apostles pray to there? The obvious answer is the Lord (Jesus.)

So, why does the NWT insert Jehovah there? I will let you answer that in your heart.

Peace be with you all.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Why is this even a question?

The apostles prayed to the same God that Jesus prayed to.

If you are implying that their saying "You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men," correlates to Jesus, then they are asking Jesus to help them decide. But they knew that Jesus prayed to his Father, Jehovah to direct his choosing of the apostles, so why would they do any different?

• oncebitten
    oncebitten

You suppose it's a bad question and I do not. No need to be rude. calm down and read.

Did you expect Jesus while on earth to pray to Himself? Of course he prayed to His Father. But what did he say to the apostles?

Ask me anything in my name and I will do it. John 14:14

Does that help? Perhaps they obeyed the what the Lord told them.

Who is answering the prayer? Could it be the one who said he will answer it? Do you have an interlinnear? Look it up. Ask ME anything in my name and I WILL do it.

Dont be angry.

Try it. :)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The Insertion of the Name in the N.T has been debated on other Threads, and I know all the arguments for and against, but what is a "no brainer" is the the JW org. are Hypocritical in doing this, they say that in producing their NWT they follow the rule that if something is not in the earliest MSS, then they do not include it, or they highlight this fact.

The point is, there is not one single early MSS, or fragment thereof, or of course a later one from anywhere near the 1st Century, that writes the Name ANYWHERE in those MSS !

• oncebitten
    oncebitten

Hi Phizzy,

Yes, I agree. I know the arguments as well. But this one in particular takes prayer away from the Lord Jesus- when it's clear who the apostles prayed to is Him. Jesus chose his apostles. The WT couldnt handle prayer to Him although Jesus told them to pray to Him.

Same is true with Stephen- interlinear has invocation or prayer in the footnote

It is also clear that Jesus answered Paul's prayer in Acts 9:11 and gave him the vision of Ananias to regain his sight.

How many times do we need to see this before we realize Jesus is prayed to and answers prayers/ Once should be enough for us- otherwise it idolatrous. YET, we can clearly see it if we dont make excuses.

Also, in the WT interlinear they claim to be consistent with how they translate a word. NOT TRUE AT ALL! No wonder my family has been told not to use their own interlinear anymore. They were told it will cause confusion!

It amazes me how a Jw is taught to shun their Lord, Jesus. I remember shaking and being terrified when I first called on the name of Jesus ( it only says that a million times in the NT).. but I was taught it was awful! I prayed and asked Jehovah if it would be ok if I just talked with Jesus for one minute. hands were literally shaking. From then on I knew it was perfectly good and my fears were released ! We can have fellowship with the Father and the Son. 1 John

• oncebitten
    oncebitten

One thing about the NT insertion of Jehovah is the J-notes. Very hypocritical bias using those!

tetragrammaton.org does a good job.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

deleted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit