How long will Paradise remaineth? Does Genesis 8:22 give us some kind of inidication?

by I_love_Jeff 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

Watchtower 6/15/1953 pg 371
    Though their annual periods were not calculated to the fraction of the day, there was no mistaking the seasons of the year, since Jehovah had said,
    “While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.”—Gen. 1:14; 8:22, AS.

Although Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Paradise Earth will remain forever, why does there own Watchtower Library 2014 software state otherwise?

Original Word: עוֹד
    Part of Speech: substantive; adverb accusative; adverb

http://biblehub.com/hebrew/5750.htm

• prologos
    prologos
    Life has existed on this Earth for ~ 4 billion years, not exactly paradise, life made possible by the death of redundant creatures, so, W H I L E it lasts, individually, enjoy iy to the full. BSW: Is that a quote from the talking snake story?
  • HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated
    Gensisi 8:22 is a quote from Borossus in the 280s BCE he quotes from the Epic of Gilgemesh likely in 1300 BCE... So I find the authority of this story bull s**t
  • Wonderment
    Wonderment

I submitted this post on another thread in regards to the Hebrew word at the beginning of the verse (Ge 8.22):

Whether the earth's lasts forever or not is not the main idea within the context.

The idea is brought out well by the New Living Translation: "As long as the earth remains, there will be planting and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night."

ISV: ""Never again, as long as the earth exists, will sowing and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night ever cease."

The Hebrew adverb ‛ôd has been rendered with the idea of a: going-around, continuance, still, again, yet, while, as long as, during, etc.

The LXX (Greek) literally says: "All the days of the earth, seed and harvest, chilliness and sweltering heat, summer and spring, day and knight, will not be caused to cease." The Latin Vulgate reads alike. See also NABRE.

The Concordant Version reads: "In the future, all the days of the earth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and warmth, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease."

And in Ge. 8:21,22, The Five Books of Moses by Everett Fox, reads: "21 And when YHVH smelled the soothing savor YHVH said in his heart: I will never curse the soil again on humankind's account, since what the human heart forms is evil from its youth; I will never again strike down all living-things, as I have done; 22 (never) again, all the days of the earth, shall sowing and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night ever cease!" (Parenthesis his.)

So the main idea is: God promised that the daily and annual cycles of nature would continue as long as the earth remains.

The revised NWT cleverly and conveniently took the negative particle lō' meaning "not" or "never" toward the end of the sentence, and placed it at the beginning of the verse (as did ISV) after the constituent adverb ‛ôd, still within the bounds of Hebrew-English translation to have it say: "From now on, the earth will never cease to have seed-sowing and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night."

BUT, the NWT reader may get the overall impression, more so than with Fox's translation, that the verse somehow indicates the eternal existence of the earth, when that in itself is not explicit by the wording used.

• Kick50r
    Kick50r

Genesis 8:22 , as well as sumerian mythology, in my opinion give us ignorant /false information because:

Our sun, as our main star, will evolve, and one day his increase in brightness will STOP photosynthesis , the base of seedtime and harvest.

Without plants how can THERE BE seedtime and harvest ?

either we can reason or just "God did it" and move on lol

Take Care

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

A little more information on the opening word of Genesis 8.22 (‛ôd ):

The Hebrew adverb ‛ôd has been rendered with the idea of a: going-around, continuance, still, again, yet, while, as long as, during, etc.

It has two primary categories of meaning relating to action: continuing or durative action, and repeated or additional action. Other nuances of the word derive from one of these two primary semantic roles.

The NASB, a literal translation, renders the term mostly as: "again" (nearly 100x); "still" (84); "longer", "any longer" (nearly 100x), "yet (43x); "more" (39x), and in numerous other ways in lesser representations. So anyone can see from this that there is no one word to cover all that can be expressed with ‛ôd.

‛ôd can also be negated with the addition of a negative particle 'ayin or lō', (which appears at the beginning of Gen. 8.22). At Isaiah 2.4, the negative particle lō' appears with ‛ôd (Literally: "and-not they-will-learn more war": NASB, "Never again will they learn war.")

Other examples: Gen. 8.21; 9.15; Lev. 27.20; Num. 18.22; Deut. 3.26; Ecc.9.6)

At Gen. 9.15, we read: "and never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all flesh." The statement does not exclude another world-wide judgment. Does it?

Now we can better understand why Fox translated Gen. 8.22 thus: "22 (never) again, all the days of the earth, shall sowing and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night ever cease!" (Parenthesis his.)

Hence, the Hebrew word at the beginning of the verse (in the presence of the negative particle in the full statement) may serve as an adverbial expression modifying the whole sentence. The NW translators of the Revised edition employed it as such at the beginning of the verse, affecting the whole statement. It does not mean that their selection of words or the sum of them was the best translation choice, but perhaps they saw a chance here to prop their doctrinal belief of an ever-lasting earth.

Even the translation choice of "while" used in some versions (NASB, etc. -- suggesting the earth is perishable) -- reflects the interpretation of the translators. How so? Well, the Hebrew word ôd appears nearly 500x in the Hebrew text, yet less than 10x is it rendered "while" in NASB -- Gen. 8.22 being one of the few places where it appears. Obviously, the NASB translators don't believe the earth is ever-lasting. Do they?

Someone may conclude that their choice of words must implicate the earth is forever, eternal. However, the adverbial expression, "from now on" excludes the inherent notion of eternity or creation of the earth up to the point of the spoken declaration. Actually, biblical context shows the earth was created. (Gen. 1.1) It wasn't forever there. Nor should the verse be used as proof that the earth shall endure forever. Whether the earth is ever-lasting or not must be gathered from other Scriptural sources.

The main point is that, "As long as the earth remains, there will be planting and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night." (NLT)

Through clever use of words, translators at times indulge in interpreting certain passages to their own belief. The NWTr may have done so here, but other translators don't hesitate to do alike in other places (like using "while" in Gen. 8.22, "hell" for both "hades" and "tartarus" in their versions-2 Pet 2.4), or by adding "personality" to "spirit of God" at Genesis 1.2.

So basically, at Gen. 8.22, God promised that the daily and annual cycles of nature would continue for as long as the earth remained. I think the rest is added interpretation to God's declaration.

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

Bibliotheca Sacra165 (January-March 2008): 39-5
    A REEXAMINATION OF
    "ETERNITY" IN ECCLESIASTES 3:11
    by Brian P. Gault

Free to download if interested. Just google it.

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff
    Thanks Wonderment. May I use your info. in my notes?
  • Wonderment
    Wonderment

I_love_Jeff: "May I use your info. in my notes?"

Yes, as long as it's "fair play."

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff
    Yes of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit