Ring Home Security commercial featuring JW's

by duc007az 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• duc007az
    duc007az

The other day I was perusing on Facebook and stumbled on a sponsored advertisement for Ring Home Security. The commercial was saying how you can monitor unwanted soliciting without answering the door. Anyway, the solicitors at the door were JW's offering the awake and watchtower. The homeowner (through an intercom) declined and the jdubs were on their way.

Here it is: http://youtu.be/VzakNorPBnM

This video is no longer on facebook or the ring.com website. I wonder if they were forced to take down by the borg

• stillin
    stillin
    Good marketing. They know that nobody wants to talk with JW's. I saw one the other day where the homeowner acts all cordial and invites the JW's inside. Down a hallway and through a door that opens outside to a sheer drop off!
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I'm no Lawyer ( probably should've been... ), but I think it's wrong to use footage of actual people without their consent. I could be wrong.

If the security company had hired some actors to portray JWs, that would be different. Like I said, I could be wrong.

DD

• steve2
    steve2
    Good point Data-Dog.
  • leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Doubt it was a commercial... probably a customer story that the customer took down. Couldn't find this one, but found another one under their customer stories on the website. Gray bible gives it away.

https://ring.com/customer-stories#do-not-disturb

• AnneB
    AnneB
    It seems to me that if someone comes to a stranger's door uninvited that the householder has every right to record the visit and to use the recording in any legal way. There may be restrictions in some locations as to using the recording in court (consent issues) but that's a whole 'nuther discussion.
  • Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Anna: you're partway there. The private individual could do whatever they want with the video. However, in the case of advertising or some sort of TV show, the person has to give consent.

Ever watch one of those candid camera shows? Some faces are blurred out and others aren't. The ones that aren't blurred gave consent (before or after the recording). The others didn't for whatever reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit