1941 -- 1914

by stillajwexelder 7 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Interesting after the infamous Pearl Harbor -- many of that "Generation" are dying off -- hell it was 60 years ago -- it was a full 37 years after 1914 -- I know 1914 was an important year -- but surely 1941 was more significant -- 1945 with the Nuke was also very significant and 1957 with the dawn of the space age -- leaving aside your WTBTS prejudices -- which year in the last century was the most MARKED year?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I think 1922.

That's when we started blowing horns in Cedar Point Ohio.

***** Rub a Dub

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

ROTFLOL RubADub

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think the pivotal change in world history was in 1860 when Florence Nightingale used statistics to convince her government to improve the health of the British Army.

http://www.florence-nightingale.co.uk/small.htm

• Loris
    Loris

I think 1945. For the first time mankind demonstrated the power to blow themselves off the planet. Who needs Armageddon? Man is fully capable of ridding the planet of the human race. Cockroaches prepare for your salvation.

Loris

• simwitness
    simwitness

What year was it that Al Gore invented the internet???

That "event" in and of itslef has caused many changes to the way many people live. Granted, it has it's downside, but there is alot to be said for the "information age" and it's affect on people in general.

IMHO, it is this that will change our direction more than any war or other singular event... it has to happen on a collective scale, and over time.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Back in late 1999, I read an article in Time magazine that discussed the most important developments of the last millenium. A group of historians, scientists, etc, were asked for their opinion of the most significant date in the millenium.

So, as a JW, you would think, this is easy - 1914. After all, we have been told that worldly historians point to 1914 as the turning point in world history - a no brainer.

Well, the historians of Time listed a lot of dates. The date with the most references was that of the French Revolution. For pure impact on history and development of modern life, this date came out the winner.

I personally believe that 1914 was a significant year, but only in the context of many other significant years. It is not the earth-rending date that JWs would make you think. Don't forget that prior to 1929, they dated the time of the end to 1799.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Apparently the anti-christ was born in 1969, however the most marked year, every year "gets worse" yet somehow if you do enough research is just as bad as the year before. The years that were horrible for one country may have been a golden age for another country. It's all debatable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit