"Why would anyone build a house in this system of things?"

by Queequeg 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Recent posts about elders telling people to quit their jobs etc. reminded me of this.

When I was in my early twenties I decided that I really wanted to build a house (Id always wanted to, even as a kid). I justified my "selfish" desire in my own mind by thinking that once we were living in it we'd have more freedom and skills to volunteer to do things like quickbuilds and International construction (actually, it really did work out that way). My wife agreed that what I'd laid out made sense and we started making plans. Since both of us worked mainly part time we figured we could pull it off time wise.

How the flip did we get the money? Well, we were both good at saving money and so both came in to the marriage with savings. I found bargains on lumber and other materials. Also, in my late teens I pulled off basically a no money down deal on a triplex, so we lived rent free in one of the units.

Neither of us were the type to go to the elders and ask for advice and we knew that most of the people in the congregation tended to be negative, so we pretty much kept it to ourselves. By the time the elders caught wind of what we were doing we had already poured the daylight basement.

Two elders made a visit while I was working on the site. They told me I was crazy, because I'd never built a house before. They said that my marriage would fail. Of course, I was going to lose my relationship with Johoho and maybe be removed as a ministerial servant (damn, I wish that had happened way back then!). I was told to quit while I still could, "What if armageddon comes while you're in the middle of building this?". I thanked them for their input and when they left we kept building.

After this, elders and their wives started making negative comments at the meetings about people deciding to invest in this system of things. One elder, Bob J. and his wife, any chance they could, would comment and look at us while they said, "Why would anyone build a house in this system of things." Funny thing, I didn't really give a shit.

Our marriage didn't fail. In fact, when JWs would ask us we'd say we couldn't wait to build another one together. That really pissed them off. We still own the house and get a nice rent check every month. Yep, we built the house we're living in now too.

Funny thing, a couple of years ago I bumped in to Bob J.'s son at the lumberyard, he bragged that he was in town... BUILDING A HOUSE FOR HIS MOM AND DAD!

We're so glad we didn't listen to the wisdom of the "elders"!

• joao
    joao

Why would anyone need new HQ and magnificent cinema studios in this system?!

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

This was very much the case during those years of the late 1960s and early 1970s. Then, anybody who even bought their own home was viewed as either “worldly”, barking mad, or both. Rather, the expectation was that anybody who owned property would sell it and “pioneer” on the proceeds. A commonly held belief was that if you owned a house, someone else would only “take it off you in the persecution”.

Talk about mad people and mad times!

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Why does the Org want you to donate your home to them? Your property? All about money and leaving you broke and dependant on the Org and their sorry azz "help". I cut out the middle man the org and started helping myself. Life is better, way better. Thinking about it lurkers.

• waton
    waton
    This was very much the case during those years of the late 1960s and early 1970s.

RG. in 1969, with the paradise now a long 6 years away to 1975 , as opposed to 15 minutes with the minute man reach, it was a paying proposition to build instead of renting. owned up to 4 properties ever since. wt leading the way. follow the money, and keep it in the family.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Waton.

It was yet another case of “obey and be blessed” - and the “good” (ie. obedient) JWs the ones most likely to suffer.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''Why would anyone need new HQ and magnificent cinema studios in this system?!''

ROFL, seriously no doubt!!!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

This is the kind of thing what happens when you have a man-made Borganiization touting propaganda.

You get 2 conflicting ideologies..

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

Plus, many dubs (SPIMIs, especially) figured that they would "INHERIT" the homes of those people who would tHE Big A fodder. They would always point at houses within their territories and brag that they "would have that person's house in the New System if he/she doesn't become a servant of Jah" and other arrogant-arse remarks. So, undoubtedly they "reasoned" that it would unnecessary for them to build a house--they'll get one automatically in WT's Panda Paradise! YIPEE! 🤢🤮

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit