Washington Post - Front Page Expose on Mormon Church Billions Tax Fraud

by POs Son 4 Replies latest social current

• POs Son
    POs Son

The WaPo has a front page expose on the Mormon Church avoiding taxes on billions of dollars under the cloak of religion. Link here: (need to disable popups)

Washington Post Online

A former investment manager alleges in a whistleblower complaint to the Internal Revenue Service that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has amassed about $100 billion in accounts intended for charitable purposes, according to a copy of the complaint obtained by The Washington Post.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    There will be some guys wriggling in their seats reading this in the treasury dept Warwick NY.
  • sir82
    sir82

I'd bet a plate of doughnuts that the WTS has a similar scandal just waiting in the wings to be exposed....

True they don't collect for "charity", and their members are, as a rule, far less wealthy than the typical Mormon....but there are still 9 or 10-digit sums of money earmarked for "Worldwide Work" that are probably , well, let's just say not going to support Sam & Suzy Missionary in Mudhutville, Angola.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Thanks for sharing this Slidin Fast.

I read through most of this. Apparently they have amassed 100 Billion dollars which an income producing investing company, with close ties to the Mormon org, keeps this money growing year in and year out.

It is not used to feed the starving or clothe the poor. The 100 billion is not used for charity.

When I switched over to the Comments Section they sounded like pissed off ex JW's.....same point of view.

• Spiral
    Spiral

"The church typically collects about $7 billion each year in contributions from members, according to the complaint. Mormons, like members of some other faith groups, are asked to contribute 10 percent of their income to the church, a practice known as tithing."

and then:

"He suggests church leaders favor continuing to collect tithes to avoid “losing control over their members’ behavior” by releasing them from their financial obligations. In June, the church raised the monthly charge paid by most families to cover the cost of their children serving as missionaries from $400 to $500 per month.

Leaders have consistently tried to downplay speculation about the extent of the church’s wealth. Quoting a former church president during the speech last year, Caussé, said: “When all is said and done, the only real wealth of the church is in the faith of its people.' "

Ah, the Mormons. You gotta love how much money they've made, considering they are a relatively new religion. Their followers seem to be really devoted. Ten percent of your income is a huge obligation.

Concerning the bOrg, Sir82, I think, lately, they DO claim to be doing "charity", aka helping people rebuild from natural disasters, etc. This is just what I'm hearing from my PIMI friend about how it's presented at the midweek meeting. I was surprised at how adamant she was that the money was going to "help people". Hmmmmm. Lots of poor JWs in my area, and no one getting any help.

I would also not be surprised if the GB starts asserting they are doing lots of charity within their "worldwide work" after they see what can happen if a whistleblower really takes the initiative to expose them. This isn't the 1980s or 1990s. Maybe they will think of a word for "charity" that is more consistent with bOrg lingo and start using it.

It's incredible that people can't seem to see through this kind of thing. Religion is a snare and a racket!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit