Celebrating the Holidays

by gentlesoul 6 Replies latest jw friends

• gentlesoul
    gentlesoul

How many of you who were Jehovahs Witnesses celebrated while still in the Borg ? And now that you have left do you celebrate them ? And do you celebrate them all or just some.?

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I celebrate everything!

And I tell my wife's family that I missed out on 18 years of christmas and birthday gifts so keep them coming!

I even celebrate foreign country holidays like Pakistani independence day!

• Singing Man
    Singing Man

I celebrated a holiday that I called "Askiaski Day" When I was a Witness, it really made the elders wonder. It was a day where I drank lots of beer and over indulged and if possible I would invite other Witness's over they loved it. P.S. even a few elders do it even now.

• fran
    fran

Hi,

I celebrate some,let me tell you how most JWS compromise.One special pioneer lady would celebrate Christmas in october and give presents.others compromise by giving gifts one day before or after.Others have Christmas dinner turkey etc:and say well it is just food.I was invited to a few peoples homes for turkey dinner on Christmas day (One was an Elder) same for Easter,they would buy the eggs and give before or after,same for birthdays just choose a different day and call it something else.also lots of JWS who are in mixed marriages have never not celebrated,saying:it is for their partner..or whatever....it's a joke...

I have worked in retail.so have seen the commercial side to everything.Not nice,too materialistic,I prefer everything to be simpler.I saw elderly people struggling to buy for everyone,I saw people who could not afford to buy run up their credit cards,not nice,keep it simple

Blessings fran

fran

• gentlesoul
    gentlesoul

Fran,

That was interesting to know. I often wondered how split families worked those things out, I have to wonder how many marriages that are half and half actually do celebrate the Holidays.

Yes Christmas has become very commercialized. A friend of mine and his wife told me one time that they got up the day after thanksgiving at like 4:30 am so they could go stand in line at the walmart store. He said in 15 minutes of being in the store his ankle got hit 3 times by shopping carts and there were 2 fights. Women fighting each other over a childs toy. It was funny in a way but also sad to see that people will go so low just for a stupid toy..

Well I did not get many replies to this thread but thanks to those who did and I wish everyone a warm and safe Merry Christmas...........

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

openly started celebrating holidays. My grandson gave me my first father's day card this year and my mother in law (just before she died) gave me a birthday card.

The other day, I bought a pack of christmas cards. I'm going to give them to the offices that I work with. It's not a religious thing for me, it's just a way to reflect on the year's accomplishments and to thank the guys for helping me out and making my job easier. It's a big step for me. I'll probably give a gift to each of my two closest friends, and I've given them birthday presents.

The only other holiday I really do anything for, is I always make sure my mom receives something around mothers day and I usually call her right around then too.

Ern

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Just remember Christmas does not have to be too commercialized in your own home. You CHOOSE how you want to celebrate it. In a tradition started by my husband's family, we draw a name and have to make the gift. They are usually just hilarious and original and don't necessarily cost much money at all. They are made with love. With another family member we exchange a gift made to a charity in each other's name. We try to emphasize that gifts are given and exchanged not just received.

So many of you are starting to form your own traditions. Make them ones that are meaningful and joyful for you, not Walmart.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit