Steven Hassan's interview on a new fictional cult film, "The Path" Fact-Checked: The Ugly Truth Behind Real-Life Cults

by AndersonsInfo 3 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo
    THE PATH

March 30, 2016

The Path Fact-Checked: The Ugly Truth Behind Real-Life Cults

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/03/the-path-cults

"A lot of the older cults that have been around for a really long time, like the Jehovah’s Witnesses, for example, and even the Mormons, are having a really hard time with young people growing up in the age of the Internet, because they’ve been basically telling lies to their followers about their history, and now people can easily find out what’s true and not true, and look at their own literature and copies of their own literature. It’s causing massive defections, which is very interesting for me."

• flipper
    flipper
    Exactly. I totally agree with Steve Hassan. Great quote. Thanks for sharing Barbara
  • Giordano
    Giordano

Here's another quote by Hassan and for any of you lurkers still in denial

here are the real questions to ask yourself.

The healthy influence respects people’s individuality and creativity, their conscience, and their free will. People can choose to follow or choose to leave, and there are no big threats around leaving. For example, people are in the Boy Scouts or they are in the Kiwanis Clubs.

The point is, are you free to leave? Are you free to join? Are you free to read whatever you want to read? Can you talk to former members? If the group is like, “Sure, talk to whoever you want to talk to,” they’re more likely to be on the left side of the continuum, and they may be a cult, but they’re not a mind-control cult, or a destructive cult, which, in my definition, is an authoritarian, pyramid-structured group, or relationship even.

• SAHS
    SAHS

Steve Hassan: Money is not always number two but power is always number one.

That is a very important point which Mr. Hassan brought out! Charismatic cult leaders have a way of pursuing and obtaining money, property, fame, and sex; however, the most significant underlying motivation for them consistently is power.

When you take a look at the leaders of the Watchtower organization, especially the well-known charismatic leaders of their monarchical era (i.e., Franklin Rutherford), they are infamous for their quest for total control of their adherents, getting them to spend countless hours and money in support of the organization. As many of us are already aware, Rutherford managed to amass an extremely luxurious mansion and sizeable property (i.e., Beth Sarim), including two of the most expensive, high-end Cadillac cars around. Now, you may think that this was a monetary accomplishment – and it was – however, all that would not have been possible without first securing (apparently by legal strong-arm tactics) the one main thing which made him what he was and carried him along on the seas of unquestioning loyal support: POWER!

And where do all the current governing body members live? Bethel headquarters. Those desirable accommodations, all nice and neat and clean, with all the amenities – and, of course, all tax-free and served well by basically slave labor – are where those leaders live – that’s their “home,” and so the better their institutional facilities become, then all the more so their “home” becomes. It is all a reflection of themselves – and, subsequently, their power.

Remember, first comes the power, and then the fruits of people’s loyalty (i.e., various donations, wills, trusts, estates, insurance policies, etc.) will follow.

Mr. Hassan spoke well in identifying “what drives people who are leading cults.” He’s obviously been there himself and knows what he’s talking about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit