We're moving how can I help my teenage daughter adjust?

by lv4fer 3 Replies latest social family

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

We're moving to Las Vegas! I got a good job offer there and my sister and nieces live there. My oldest who graduated from high school last year is moving up to Northern California to go to college. My daughter is 15 (10th grade) She is not real happy. We've lived in the same area for 14 years and she has gone to school with the same kids since kindergarten ( a very small town) She likes Las Vegas but she is upset that she is not going to graduate with these kids whom she has gone to school with all her life. She has friends but her best friend since they were babies, she lost around a year and a half ago when we left the borg. The girls parents won't let her have any contact with my "apostate" daughter. This has been extremely difficult for my daughter. I feel really bad about creating more turmoil in her life, being a teenage girl in high school is bad enough. On the other hand, I moved in high school, in fact I went to more than a dozen schools my parents moved alot. I don't remember hating it too much it seemed like that was normal. I'm looking for any suggestions in making this as easy on her as possible. I don't want to read her post in 10 years saying how her parents ruined her life and she is a nutcase because of her parents moving her in high school.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Moving doesn't ruin a life and she knows it. She is just pissed right now.I would have hated moving at her age but I know it would have worked out. She knows it will work out too but you can buy her a car if that will make you feel better.

She will work through it without any problems. As soon as she gets a look at the cute guys at her new school all will be fine.

Are you moving before summer? Moving in the summer is the worst. She needs to meet friends before summer hits or she will be bored to death.

• blondie
    blondie

A few suggestions,

Can she visit the school she will be attending without all the hubbub, perhaps with a teacher/admin guiding her.

Can she meet some of the students beforehand?

Using the activities she participated in her old school, can she be put in contact with similar groups in her new school.

Can she be familiarized with her new routine of getting to school, where it is, is there a school bus, local bus, will you be driving her, will she be driving herself?

Blondie (attended more schools that there are years to go)

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Blondie, we just moved from NH to Texas 2 months ago. My oldest is 12 years old, and he was heartbroken, but has taken it like a trooper and is getting along pretty well.

One of the things we did was to make sure we gave him a chance to vent about it, and listend. He knew that we could not change moving, but I think it helped that we gave him a chance to at least let him give his side of why he was mad.

Another thing was looking a lot of things up online. We were able to give him an idea of what activities were close by, he looked up stuff online at the schools we were going to be near, and he was with us when we picked out a house to rent. We moved everything we owned and 4 of our kids down without a place and just stayed in a hotel for a few days because we thought that it would be a help if he had input where we got a place.

I made sure before he left he had phone numbers of his friends here, and that we made some prelim plans for him to go back to visit during the summer.

My mother is going to visit in a few weeks for a little bit, and he is really looking forward to that trip.

Does she have any extra curriculor activities that she is involved with now like sports or clubs? I would see what I could find online for her about those activities in Vegas. You need to give her something to look forward to. My son was having a very difficult time in school. This was the perfect chance for him to start over with a clean slate. He started going by his middle name down here (he was picked on up there, and down here it would be worse because apparantly there are not enough Irish down here, so no one can say his name right). He misses NH, but admitted to me yesterday that he was happy.

I know your daughter is older than my boy, but I hope you find something here that helps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit