Did David suffer VD?

by accuracy 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• accuracy
    accuracy

STDs are all in the news these days and they are not new. As a health professional I was struck (during a recent reading of Psalm 38) with the query: Did David suffer from a "social disease?" David had many foreign women. And Bathsheba was formerly the wife of Uriah the Hittite. Because Israel's laws of physical and ceremonial purity were of a high level, if an STD was involved it no doubt came from elsewhere. But just listen to David's complaint (from the New Living Bible, unless indicated otherwise):

O Lord, don't rebuke me in your anger!
    Don't discipline me in your rage...
    Because of your anger, my whole body is sick;
    my health is broken because of my sins...
    My wounds fester and stink
    because of my foolish sins.
    I am bent over and racked with pain...
    ["My back is filled with searing pain," NIV]
    A raging fever burns within me,
    ["for my loins burn with fever," Revised English Bible]
    and my health is broken.
    I am exhausted and completely crushed....
    My heart beats wildly, my strength fails,
    and I am going blind.
    My loved ones and friends stay away,
    fearing my disease....

According to Webster, "loins" includes "the pubic region" or "the generative organs." Possible diagnosis (speculation, of course): In his diddling around, David got more than he bargained for, and considered it to be one more affliction as punishment for his sin(s), here unspecified.

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy accuracy,

A fine armchair diagnosis - and wouldn't seem to be farfetched. That ol' dilly-dallying around will git ya, eh?

As jw's, we never read to *read* into a scripture unless specifically told by the WTBTS what to read into it.

Didn't Al Capone die of syphilis? I'm sure many reknowned persons have, it just kinda comes with the territory - particularily in generations past when no medication was known.

Of course, David could have been cooking in aluminum pans, which Rutherford (?) espoused as causing all kinds of sicknesses.

Nice to meet you and welcome to our forum.

waiting

• accuracy
    accuracy

waiting, thank you for the welcome.

I don't read the King James Version much, but in this instance it appears to be right on target in its rendition of Psalm 38:7:

For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease;
    and there is no soundness in my flesh.

Back there when, as you noted, there was little or no treatment for such diseases (though probably "folk medicine"), it must have been truly frightening. I supose that in reality, time alone took care of the problem, but leaving some physical and emotional scars.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit