Excellent Book for JW's (Psychological Recovery)

by airborne 3 Replies latest jw friends

• airborne
    airborne

Hello all

I was in the cult for twenty years and DA'd in Sept. 2014. As time passes I feel that I am ready for more healing. The fear has passed of being out and I'm never going back to the funny farm.

An excellent book I came across for current and former JW's in the healing process is "Exiting the JW Cult: A Healing Handbook" by Bonnie Zieman. It's available on Amazon Kindle for $6.99. She is a licensed psychotherapist.

I am currently reading Steven Hassan's excellent book "Combatting Cult Mind Control..." We all have psychological wounds from being in the Watchtower, and I had thought of actually getting therapy myself, but didn't because of the time and expense. Plus what psychologist would really understand being in a cult.

Anyway hope this post helps someone.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Airborne, thank you for the good suggestion. You are right about the time needed to heal and get progressively back to normal after escaping the total mind control cult.

We have to change the entire way our minds think! And that takes time and patience. In my case, I was so afraid of making wrong ( "sinful" ) decisions, and maybe facing the consequences of displeasing Jehovah, that I couldn't think for myself at all.

So yes, the books about healing from mind control really do help a lot, as well as reading here on this forum.

Merry Christmas!

Marina

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Yes, both books are excellent.

I think there is such a long process to deprogramming from any mind control group. I feel sorry for the walk away believers, they feel something is not right but don't understand the full dynamics of leaving such a group. So they never really deprogram but just drift in life they try to make outside of the control group.

Happy reading!

Joy

• elderINewton
    elderINewton

I bought the book for my wife. She hasn't put it down. I'd love to meet the author and buy her a coffee.

I'd recommend it as well to others

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit